Domain & Hosting Expiration: December 10th

Site-wide announcements. If we need to know it, post it here.
Karl
Administrator

Domain & Hosting Expiration: December 10th

Postby Karl » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:01 pm

On December 10th the hosting and domain registration for Apositive will expire, and the site will cease to exist.

As you've probably noticed, I've been pretty much inactive over the past year. I have little interest in maintaining or developing the site any more, and I do not intend to continue as the webmaster for the site.

If any of you are invested enough in this site to want to take over in my role then please let me know ASAP so we can figure out how to transfer ownership of the domain and hosting account.

Regards,

Karl

ily

Re: Domain & Hosting Expiration: December 10th

Postby ily » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:15 am

Aww, that is too bad. Can you explain a little more what your role entails?

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Well, basically someone would need to set up a hosting account in their name. Hosting for the site currently costs me just under $100 a year.

We'd also need to transfer the domain registration into their name. That shouldn't cost much more than $10 a year.

I'm not sure how we go about this process, but I'm sure Godaddy, the current host, could help explain what needs to be done.

Apart from that, the person taking over would have to have some experience with building or maintaining websites, or know someone who could do that for them. They might want to redesign the site from scratch or keep it as is, but that's up to them. Experience as a moderator or administrator of a forum-based website (particularly a phpbb3 board) would be beneficial, but not essential - I'm sure they'd figure it out eventually.

I currently don't have to do much apart from occasionally deal with e-mails from people who are having trouble registering for whatever reason.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:17 pm

Hmmm...I'd hate to see the site die, but I lack both time and money at the moment. I'll see what others want to do, but know I'm willing to put forth effort to see the site survive.

Noskcaj.Llahsram

Postby Noskcaj.Llahsram » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 pm

this is horrible, but unfortunately I'm in the same boat as dargon
What is love? Well, you know that feeling you get when you've been locked in a tiny dark space alone for a year? It's kind of the opposite of that.

ily

Postby ily » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Projecting from now, I'd have the time, and I could contribute to some portion of the costs. But, I have no website skills aside from the HTML I learned over 10 years ago. 8| I don't know if most of the time involves the website skills. If they're separate, then I could do any non-technical portions that are needed.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:57 pm

The amount of time I spend maintaining the site is pretty insignificant. If you don't have any plans to redesign the site then you probably won't need much in the way of web skills, and phpbb has a thriving support community. The main requirement, I guess, is a willingness to keep the site going in whatever way you can - either by paying for the hosting yourself or by finding a way to raise the funds communally. If you need technical assistance then I'm sure there are people out there in the asexual community who would be able to help.

You have some time to think this over, so don't rush into something you're not sure about. ;)

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:45 am

I don't have the coding skill to handle any big projects but I know people who do. I also have plenty of experience with phpbb3 and I can afford the hosting costs. I don't contribute much to this site because, frankly, many of the discussions are outside my scope of knowledge but I think its an invaluable resource and its closing would be quite a loss.

So, if nobody else is able to take it I will.

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:14 am

I don't have the time or know how to take over the site, but if someone else wanted to, I would be willing to pitch in and cover part of the cost.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:02 pm

I've sent an e-mail into to Godaddy's customer service to find out what we'd need to do.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Okay, so it seems to be pretty straightforward to transfer the domain into someone else's name, but how we do it depends on whether the new owner wants to keep the site registered with Godaddy or move it to a different registrar.

When I moved another site from Godaddy to Hostgator this year, they were able to help me with both the domain transfer and also with transferring all my hosted files to the new server. In my experience, Hostgator's service was excellent and their hosting control panel interface is also a lot easier to negotiate than Godaddy's is. It's entirely up to whoever takes this on to decide on a registrar/hosting company themselves, though.

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:20 am

Looks like we've got a few people who can contribute something to running the site. Perhaps a cooperative effort would work out best here.

ily

Postby ily » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:41 am

I would nominate Shockwave to be the lead person on this because he has the phpbb3 experience. I agree on the cooperative effort though, and would be glad to help. Maybe after the ownership changes hands, we can have a discussion about breaking up among us the things that need to be done.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:30 pm

That sounds good. This site really needs a team of committed folk in order to thrive.

So I guess it's up to Shockwave to decide where he'd like to have the site hosted. Once he has an account somewhere then we can talk to the host's support people about how much help they can offer us for the transfer.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Shockwave - I've had interest from another party about taking over, so please don't set anything up yet. I'll keep you posted...

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:16 pm

That's okay with me. I consider myself a backup plan anyway.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Okay, I've transferred ownership of the hosting account and domain name to a couple of interested friends, and I'll be acting as technical support to them if they need me. I'll let them introduce themselves in due course.

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:19 pm

Glad to see it will be in the hands of someone who will be more committed to it than I would have been.

wintermute
Established Member

Postby wintermute » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm going to make a concerted effort to post more often, I'd hate to see this site vanish though lack of interested people :(
Cicero wrote:"Neither can embellishments of language be found without arrangement and expression of thoughts, nor can thoughts be made to shine without the light of language"

yam

Postby yam » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:53 am

Glad we've found someone. If I can help with monetary support, I would be happy to.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Hmm ... while poking around, I noticed that this thread never got updated.

In case ya'll haven't somehow figured it out already, Kæth and I are your new landlords here at Apositive. Please let me know if you notice any virtual roof leaks or termites, etc.
I try to evict the spammers on a regular basis, but otherwise I am kinda hesitant about fiddling with all of these shiny new (to me) admin buttons. Bit by bit, I will be re-arranging things and tidying things up, but, other than trying to encourage a little bit more of a community feel, I don't plan on changing things very much at all.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Thu May 27, 2010 1:03 am

That explains the new admin blue on your name. Glad to know who the new (and awesome) management is, and especially that troll feeding is ok.

Puppy

Postby Puppy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:59 am

Oooh, APositive is run by the Birds now!! Yay!! :D
It takes a fool to remain sane.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Been sometime since an update in this one . If the cost can be contributed too to keep it going please I am willing to offer funds and help in anyway I can.

I own avenforum.com and am undecided what to do with it yet mostly because I lack shiny button skills but again if I can help raise the profile of apositive as a site for asexuals that is desperately needed then again I am very open to helping.