Our Knowledge Base is growing

Site-wide announcements. If we need to know it, post it here.
spin

Our Knowledge Base is growing

Postby spin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:57 am

The KB is cruising right along--I just added the 100th page to the website with yet another online article about asexuality, and I've got a few more queued to add. I've also been fleshing out the asexual community pages, and I've added another a-friendly personals site. Check it out!

Searching this stuff out can get tedious though, so I'd like to remind everyone that you can help out by recommending sites, articles or papers etc in the Contributions forum.

We've also been getting some attention from sexuality and asexuality related sites around the web, which is pretty fantastic for how brand-spanking new the site is. Go us!

Karl
Administrator

Re: Our Knowledge Base is growing

Postby Karl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:26 pm

spin wrote:Searching this stuff out can get tedious though, so I'd like to remind everyone that you can help out by recommending sites, articles or papers etc in the Contributions forum.

She ain't lying! Thanks for all your work so far, Spin. It'd be great to see some more community participation in the way of suggestions, though.

Carsonspire

Postby Carsonspire » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 am

I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but what are we considering a significant reference to asexuality in scientific articles? For example, do we want articles that only briefly mention asexuality, as well as ones that focus primarily on the issue?

Fox

Postby Fox » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:09 am

This is me not reading posts completely. Bad fox, no biscuit!
"I had an encounter with Death and all I got was this lousy sheep bone."

spin

Postby spin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:55 am

Carsonspire, significance can be subjective. If you think something's relevant go ahead and recommend it so we can at least take a look. The KB is meant to be a compendium of information about asexuality, so if it's relevant to an understanding of asexuality or asexual discourse in general, we want it.

Carsonspire

Postby Carsonspire » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:19 pm

Thanks, spin.
I'll be on the lookout and hopefully recommend some articles soon.

~Carsonspire

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:43 pm

Carsonspire wrote:I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but what are we considering a significant reference to asexuality in scientific articles? For example, do we want articles that only briefly mention asexuality, as well as ones that focus primarily on the issue?

We also have research in the KB that doesn't mention asexuality at all, but which deals with subjects like attraction and sexual dysfunction which may have some relevance to it. We're all about integrating the discussion of asexuality into the wider discussion of human sexuality. I'd like to see some papers in the KB about studies of homosexuality, too, if they have any implications for research into asexuality.

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:36 pm

There are two papers about asexuality that exist but are not generally available online (other than the two currently in the KB). Would we want to give the bibliographic information on them if people are interested in finding them on their own? Since a lot of papers (including one of these two on asexuality) can be found online if people have access to certain databases via library access, this could enable people to find them relatively quickly even if we can't post the paper or a link.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:01 pm

Definitely.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:20 pm

We're still adding new articles to the Knowledge Base every week. If anyone comes across anything that should be added then please let us know in the Contributions Forum.

Placebo
Established Member

Postby Placebo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:41 pm

I have a general comment, I don't know if this is a good place to point it out, but I really like how the AVEN Wiki has a fiction/nonfiction selection of books that have asexual characters or themes. However, as the Wikimaster mentioned in the discussion, she took out at least one books--I think the one on Boston marriages because it wasn't directly asexually themed.

Could we use a similar idea and build to it, adding not only directly asexual themed stuff, but also things that might just be of general interest, whether it's intimate nonsexual relationships, poly-asexual relationships, direct asexuality or whatever else. . . and then expand it to not only fiction books but also movies and television or something? I mean not just interviews, but more casual stuff. I love the I love the comics in the KB, by the way.

I am thinking of this now because I just saw the movie "Once" and liked it because it has a "guy meets girl" structure but . . . .they never have sex. It seemed like something that other asexuals might be interested in, but I don't know where to tell other people about it, except by randomly posting, as I'm doing here. :lol:
"Now it's right for me to be me."

Phil Halvorsen, from "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff" (Theodore Sturgeon)

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Yeah, we can build additional subsections into the media section if people find and post examples in the Contributions forum. The Knowledge Base structure is still very much evolving and growing as we find stuff.

spin

Postby spin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:27 pm

We do have media that relates to asexual discourse whether it's directly about asexuality or not, but I'm not so sure about including fiction.

But like the boss said, the KB can go in a lot of directions. Maybe we could have a separate section of fiction, just for fun. . .

Placebo
Established Member

Postby Placebo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:29 am

spin wrote:But like the boss said, the KB can go in a lot of directions. Maybe we could have a separate section of fiction, just for fun. . .

That would be cool if we ever get around to it.

I love what you guys have done with the subforums on the contributions section, by the way. That is fantastic!
"Now it's right for me to be me."

Phil Halvorsen, from "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff" (Theodore Sturgeon)

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:13 am

By the way, we do now have an Asexuality in the Arts section in the Knowledge Base for references to asexuality in Comics, Books, Music, Theatre and Film, and any other art form. Do let us know in the Contibutions forum if you know of anyuthing we can add to the section.

And yes, the subforums are making things a lot easier to manage. Thanks! ;)