Timeouts

A place for comments, criticism and suggestions about the website in general.
PiF
Apositive Star

Timeouts

Postby PiF » 24 Jun 2015, 09:53

When I write long posts..due to my dyslexia..I often have to create then read and re read several times the post.

This takes some time and I have on occasion then gone to post only to find out my log in, has now logged out and I have lost the entire post

I have now gotten around this by copying the thread before I attempt to post it just in case

is their something within the user control panel that means I can set the time before the site logs me out?

jmb
Established Member

Re: Timeouts

Postby jmb » 24 Jun 2015, 10:41

Fellow dyslexic here. I have this problem too!

I never thought to ask, I just presumed that it was a system setting by the board and there wasn't anything I could do about it.

I'm glad you asked :)
"He won't be your assistant" - Greg Lestrade
"But I need an audience" - What Sherlock Holmes meant to say.

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 24 Jun 2015, 11:13

Are you sure the back button doesn't recover the post? Back in the early days of my posting on forums (late 90s, early 2000s), that didn't work so well - the back button usually didn't recover anything - but these days it seems much better. It may, of course, depend on which browser you use: I use Firefox. (I assume you know where the back button is, btw, on whatever browser you use, but let me know if not...)

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 24 Jun 2015, 11:23

I assume you know where the back button is...yeah of course i do..an aven mod showed me it...they said this is the button we use for honest policy :lol:

I have tried going back but when I do it returns it as an empty box,,,this is when I use a chromebook...have not yet tried it on the windows desktop or the apple thingy me bob

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 24 Jun 2015, 11:36

Ah still obsessing on AVEN I see, Piffy. Nothing ever changes around here does it? That's fine; I'm a big fan of stability myself, which is why I wish you'd bring the date of our wedding forward. Any comments, MicAndPif'sSexLife? Anyway, I was not aware that policies can be either honest or dishonest, given that policies are normative as opposed to propositional. Maybe the policies should be given a polygraph?

Looks like copying it before sending is your best option. I suggest Notepad. It's quicker to load than Word and is more space efficient.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 24 Jun 2015, 11:43

I wouldn't marry you... you have fungus on your face and would want your wedding dress to be tie dye

as to aven obsession...trust me michael..more mods/admins and pt from aven read my posts...than I read theirs :P :D

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 24 Jun 2015, 11:51

PiF wrote:I wouldn't marry you... you have fungus on your face and would want your wedding dress to be tie dye

Fungus is good for you. And don't worry - YOU'D get a tie-dye dress too. I wouldn't want you to feel left out.

PiF wrote:as to aven obsession...trust me michael..more mods/admins and pt from aven read my posts...than I read theirs :P :D

Well let me see. What percentage of your posts about AVEN? I think we're looking around 90%, possibly higher. What percentage of admod posts are about Piffy? I wouldn't like to guess but it must be *well* under 10%. So hmmm...

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 24 Jun 2015, 11:57

For a mathmetician your lousy at percentages ..and observation..I said read..more mods/admins and pt from aven read my posts...than I read theirs

Keep up now sweetcheeks or their will be no honeymoon :hmph:

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 24 Jun 2015, 12:10

Oh noes! Well at least I have piffy, that paragon of flawless reading comprehension, to learn from during our long and happy marriage. *snigger*

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 25 Jun 2015, 15:35

*sigh*

Get a room, you two!

ROTFL!!

__________________________-

*ahem*

As for the timing-out problem; I will double-check the ACP and see if I can find anything that pertains to that situation.
I'll be honest, though. I can't recall ever seeing such a category.

I've had the same thing happen to me on quite a few forums and in self-defense I've started periodically highlighting and copying my longer posts, "just in case."
I'm not dyslexic, but I'm very slow about posting because I proofread things to death and (true confession time) I NEVER LEARNED TO TYPE!
I figure it's better to start over with most of a post to build on than with nothing at all
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 25 Jun 2015, 22:24

He wants me Nancy, understandable.... but he has fungus on his face so it's a non starter :lol:

however Nancy whilst you be here...Thank you for looking at the timeouts

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 25 Jun 2015, 22:55

[double post, deleted]

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » 25 Jun 2015, 22:56

Another thing you can do is install Clipboard History. This useful tool remembers the last 20 or so bits of text in your clipboard and can be activated by pressing a key of your choice. (I use Caps Lock as I never use that key otherwise.) Then all you have to do is make sure you highlight and Ctrl+C (copy to clipboard) your post before sending. Then you can recover it from the clipboard if needed.

PS. When making this post, I got a timeout error! And I had not followed my own advice. But the "back" button recovered it. Maybe you should install Firefox...

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 06 Aug 2015, 05:13

Just a tech thing Nancy, where is our server based and in what time zone and where is avens server based and in what time zone. i ask as you may know both ? Thanks

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 07 Aug 2015, 04:24

I honestly have no idea where Apositive's server is based, PiF, or even if we are always assigned to the same one. I *think* we always have the same one, but we are hosted by GoDaddy and they have a bunch of them. (Ick for using GoDaddy, I know, but it was already done before Kæth and I took over. So far they haven't done anything too dreadful so we haven't tried to change providers.)
Apostive is still small enough that we don't have a special server of our own, so we are sharing with someone, or maybe several someones. I assume that it's located in the US, but I'm not 100% sure.

As for AVEN? It's possible that Cole would know, but I haven't talked with her in ages despite accidentally stalking her on Facebook. (I clicked "like" on something she posted and Facebook decided that I want to follow her every move. :rolls eyes: )

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » 09 Aug 2015, 01:06

Hi Nancy and Kæth.

I deleted my cookies and history so had to google apositive and google told me 'This site may have been hacked' under the name. I thought you might want to check it out. I can screenie it later, on my phone right now.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 09 Aug 2015, 05:10

Apositive hasn't been hacked. I have double and triple checked and everything is perfectly fine.

Here's what's really happening:
Google is trying to strong-arm me into installing their own toolbar and website management programs, and in order to apply pressure they are sabotaging the way that they display any info about Apositive until I comply.

I don't always behave in the desired manner when I find myself being forced into a corner, so, for now, we are at an impasse.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » 09 Aug 2015, 05:42

If you try using a differemt search engine which isn't googles in some way then you will not see the site hacked message

In the old days this would be called a protection racket..we will sully your name till you pay up ..but the site is not hacked at all..it's just google being bullies for cash and control

edit...nancy i did find this but as I have no comp skills it might mean more to you than it ever will too me

http://www.webtechs.net/solution-fixing ... dpress.htm

Return to “Feedback”