Questions

A place for comments, criticism and suggestions about the website in general.
Bipolar Penguin

Questions

Postby Bipolar Penguin » 18 Oct 2011, 17:01

Having just joined here, I may be about to make a fool of myself, but from what I've seen, I can't seem to solve these questions on my own, and I don't think anyone else has asked these questions yet.

1. What is the purpose of the calendar section? From what I can figure out, the calendar cannot be utilized in any way aside from just being able to look at it. If the calendar can be utilized, can you tell me how?

2. What is the purpose of the downloads section, and are there any plans to utilize this section in the future?

3. Are there any plans to utilize the knowledge base section in the future?

4. The "A" that is in the top right adjusts the size of the content on the screen, however, when I navigate to another page, the size resets, and I need to press the button again to get back to my preferred size. Is there a way to fix this so the size does not reset between pages?

5. Why are there links to the FAQ and Member List beside the logout button when there are already links to both at the top of the page?

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Questions

Postby KAGU143 » 20 Oct 2011, 08:40

No worries about making a fool of yourself, BP. Those are all very good questions, and I am, quite frankly, not able to answer most of them.

Can I still say, "Welcome to Apositive"?

I have never tried to pass myself off as a very tech-savvy admin. My real strengths are more in the area of human relations.
I can ban a spammer and delete garbage with the best of 'em, and I have poked around in the ACP repeatedly, trying to make sense of it, and that's about it. I am very hesitant to make changes that I might not be able to undo.

Apositive began its existence with a different owner who was very good at tweaking message boards, but eventually he lost interest in the site. Rather than let it vanish completely, Kæth and I bought it in order to pay the bills and keep it running. Kæth seldom visits, so it has been left in my care. I have really good intentions coupled, unfortunately, with really poor technical knowledge.
And that's where we are right now. Some of the features that you mentioned were, I think, standard parts of the phpBB package that Karl first installed several years ago. Others ... I have no idea. For example, I didn't even know that "A" existed until you mentioned it and I looked for it.

Sooo .... erm .... :think: ... :scratch: ... :oops:

If anybody looks like a fool here, it's probably me.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Bipolar Penguin

Postby Bipolar Penguin » 20 Oct 2011, 11:40

Thank you for the welcome. You're no fool. :p

I've been frequenting AVEN lately, particularly the Site Comments forum, and have developed an interest in helping things out. I heard from a little miss Bipolar Bear that you ran this site, so I figured I would stop in and see it.

I've read through the majority of the "Reviving Apositive" thread, and if I may just post my thoughts here?

I think the first thing people notice on a website is the website itself. They don't necessarily notice the content - they notice the layout, the organization. If it seems like an organized website with plenty of accessibility, then they'd probably be more apt to not only make an account, but to come back again.

I don't mean to come across as rude by pointing things out that I don't understand, and if I ever come across that way then I apologize. I'm just trying to help in what ways I know how, and I definitely think that making sense of the board might be a good place to start.

Seeing what things are needed and useful, and perhaps cleaning up the things that aren't, would be where I would start. Then once everything looked nice and shiny, I'd be more concerned about the actual content. :)

I'm afraid I know nothing of the actual technical aspects either though.. so it seems we're in the same boat. :/

Oh also, on the portal page, in the Asexy News Feed on the right, there is an entry posted on October 19th regarding asexual reproduction in biology, rather than asexuality as a sexual orientation. Can this be gotten rid of, do you know?

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 20 Oct 2011, 12:30

That asexy news feed is triggered by a search engine that zeroes in on the words "asexual" and "asexuality" (I think) so once in a while it will pull up something that involves the biological kind of asexuality. I honestly don't know if it could be changed without really wrecking it, and it is on topic the vast majority of the time. I think the original reasoning behind making the search parameters so vague was to allow it to pick up articles and etc that might otherwise be overlooked.
When it talks about one-celled amoebas instead of human ones I usually just grin, and then either ignore it or brush up on my long-forgotten knowledge of microbiology.

If there is a way to delete individual topics from the news feed, I have never seen any sign of it.

I definitely appreciate your input. I'm not real thrilled with the portal page myself, but changing it is not a very intuitive process. 'Seems like every time I work up enough nerve to tackle it, the phone rings ... (Ah, the joys of being self-employed. [/irony] )

Bipolar Penguin

Postby Bipolar Penguin » 20 Oct 2011, 12:33

Hmm, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 20 Oct 2011, 12:35

Hehe - typing in stereo. Oops! (I added another comment above.)

Bipolar Penguin

Postby Bipolar Penguin » 20 Oct 2011, 12:46

No worries, no use doing things you're not sure about. I don't blame you for not wanting to mess around with things, all I'm really able to do is point my finger and say "that" and hope someone else will be able to know how to do the technical things anyway, since I certainly don't. :p

Return to “Feedback”