Where is 'Miscellaneous'?

A place for comments, criticism and suggestions about the website in general.
ASIC

Where is 'Miscellaneous'?

Postby ASIC » 30 Nov 2011, 07:10

I managed to post a topic to a 'Miscellaneous' forum, but I can't actually find any such heading under the 'Board index' page, even as a subset of some other section - has it become detached from the rest of the site and floated off in splendid isolation somewhere? ;)

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Where is 'Miscellaneous'?

Postby KAGU143 » 30 Nov 2011, 07:35

Erm ... do you, per chance, happen to hear any weird "Twilight Zone"-type music playing in the background?

As far as I know, there is no forum or sub-forum by that name, and I can see all of them. This is very odd.

Edit: I looked up your most recent posts and I found it. It was in the War Room forum, in the Contributions sub-forum, in the Miscellaneous sub-sub forum.
I didn't realize the War Room forum was even visible or useable any more. I think it's been well over a year since it has seen any action, and I never go in there.

Another edit: This just gets weirder and weirder ...
That forum is a relic from when this site was first formed and, as such, it is supposed to be closed and hidden.
It was used for testing and for accumulating info and etc - nothing nefarious like AVEN's Super-Seekrit admod's only forum. Even so, I have no idea how you could have posted in it. I am guessing that phpBB had a brain fart of some sort

It was a good post, too, and I will be happy to go retrieve it and move it for you.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 30 Nov 2011, 08:29

Okay, it appears that the War Room is a set of fourms (much like the Community and Website Stuff forum sets); all but "Contributions" look to have been used when setting up the site or managing the transfer of ownership and the like. I can still see all of them (I assumed this was because of my admin status), though none but Contributions have been used in the past nine months (and any activity within the past year elsewhere seems to be just testing to see if it works).

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 30 Nov 2011, 08:53

Weird, isn't it, Dargon? The digital cobwebs are almost an inch thick back in that forum --- scary!

I have been poking around in there since ASIC's post, and I am thinking that maybe the "Contributions" section should, or at least could, be made visible?
I don't have time to poke through all of it this morning but there might be some good stuff in there. I will resume reading this evening if I get the chance.

ASIC, would you like for me to retrieve your post immediately, or would you like to leave it where it is, on the assumption that I will be able to move that entire sub-forum into a more visible part of the site? (If it's just full of obsolete stuff then I probably won't move it, and in that case I will rescue your post from cyber-limbo.)

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » 30 Nov 2011, 11:44

It would make sense, I think, in "Contributions" was made part of the site proper. It doesn't make sense for it to be in the War Room forums, and I think many people would find it a valuable resource to have.

ASIC

Postby ASIC » 01 Dec 2011, 04:38

ASIC, would you like for me to retrieve your post immediately, or would you like to leave it where it is, on the assumption that I will be able to move that entire sub-forum into a more visible part of the site? (If it's just full of obsolete stuff then I probably won't move it, and in that case I will rescue your post from cyber-limbo.)

Better move the post, I think, and anything else that might be interesting in there...

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 10 Dec 2011, 10:40

I have been poking at the Contributions forum on and off for about a week now, and I finally found the secret to making it visible. Whew!
(The phpBB ACP is enough to make me crazy sometimes!)

That poor forum has gathered a lot of dust since it was first started, but it was a good idea and I hope that everybody will feel free to use it.

Shaggy

Postby Shaggy » 03 Nov 2012, 16:01

ASIC wrote:I managed to post a topic to a 'Miscellaneous' forum, but I can't actually find any such heading under the 'Board index' page, even as a subset of some other section - has it become detached from the rest of the site and floated off in splendid isolation somewhere? ;)

♫♪♫ I once was Lost, but now I'm Found ... [?? 8| ] ♫♪♫

Or ... was the whole Episode a Quantumly Physical Phenomena :shifty:

p.s. Some fascinatin "Blood on the A+ Floors" Posts in this Section :sigh:
"Crivens" and "Ook" ... what else need be said?

Return to “Feedback”