Knowledge Base Building

A place for comments, criticism and suggestions about the website in general.
Karl
Administrator

Knowledge Base Building

Postby Karl » 09 Feb 2008, 08:32

Having started off with enthusiasm, I'm now finding that I do not have the time or inclination to work on our Knowledge Base, and there are already several articles that need to be added. This is probably in due in part to the fact that I'm currently working 6 days a week, but mainly it's because of my tendency to lose interest in things after an initial burst of obsessive enthusiasm.

If anyone would like to volunteer to help me out with this then I can offer them the necessary permissions to log in to our wordpress control panel and write / edit pages. There are style and structure guidelines that need to be adhered to (i'll post below), but other than that we just need more of the information that's out there added to our Knowledge Base. And there's a lot still out there that we haven't touched on.

Alternatively, if anyone has any suggestions about how we can organize this project differently then please go ahead and make them here in this thread.

Karl
Administrator

Re: Knowledge Base Building

Postby Karl » 09 Feb 2008, 08:37

Here are the general formatting guidelines I'm using for the Knowledge Base pages:

• The general, descriptive paragraphs have no special formatting applied to them, but if you refer to something else that has a page in the Knowledge Base, please create a link to that page. This gives the functionality of a Wiki, even though that's not what we've got.
  • When listing links to subcategories within the category, the links should be wrapped in <h2></h2> tags and <center></center> tags so that they are nice and bold and tidy.
  • At the bottom of each subcategory page, please include a link back to the page 'above' it in the hierarchy, e.g. from the 'AVEN' page, I linked back to the 'General Asexual Community' page.
  • Screenshots of websites should be 500 pixels wide and centered, and set to link to the page being discussed in the text. I've also been adding a 1 px black border in Photoshop.
  • The research and media pages vary a little, but I'm trying to include the authors name(s) in italic at the top, followed by a description or abstract (or full text, if it's a media article), then a link to the original article (if it is online) underneath, and then the original date (and place) of publication.

Incidentally, you have to use the html special character code for a non-breaking space - &nbsp; - between the paragraphs to maintain the clear line breaks. It's easier in the long run to use the html editor rather than the WYSIWYG one, because WYSRINWYG (What You See Really Isn't Necessarily What You Get). ;)

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » 09 Feb 2008, 19:00

Of the research articles, would we want to put all of them in the knowledge base (and if so in what way)? Of the articles currently there, if there is an online version, there is a link to it. If there isn't an online version, the PDF is posted. I wouldn't feel comfortable having the "Patterns of Asexuality in the United States" paper posted in the knowledge base with a downloadable version. When I emailed Dudley Poston about it, I had done so based on the claim that I more-or-less self-identified as asexual, was interested in research on it (what little of it there is) and am interested in doing research on it in the future (all of which are true). But I hadn't said anything about wanting to post it online. I didn't feel bad about posting it under the contributions section because you have to be a registered user to access that, and presumably things there won't be found by search engines.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » 10 Feb 2008, 05:14

The only articles we're making available for download from the Knowledge Base are the media ones. The research papers generally aren't in the public domain and we could get in trouble for posting copies of them publicly, so we link to other sites where the papers are legally available for purchase or download.

You are correct about the Contributions forum - it's locked to everyone but registered users - not even the search engine bots can see in there. ;)

pretzelboy

Postby pretzelboy » 10 Feb 2008, 05:28

makes sense

Pugnacioun

Postby Pugnacioun » 02 Sep 2010, 15:18

I realize that I am late to the party (by two and a half years), but would there be objections to someone else trying to fill out the Knowledge Base more fully?

I have a lot of extra time and I'd be willing to dedicate some of it to contributions therein.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 02 Sep 2010, 16:21

By all means, Pugnacioun! That would be fantastic!
Any help at all would be more than welcome, in fact, because I don't have the spare time that I would need to search for more info right now.

I would like to see Apositive develop more of a community feel but I don't want us to lose sight of our original mission either, which was more or less twofold in nature: partly to consolidate as much literature and research about asexuality as possible, and partly to look at ways in which those asexuals who want to CAN be in happy and successful relationships, sometimes even with sexuals, despite their differences.

I think we have a lot of unexplored territory yet to be covered in both of those areas, and who knows what other interesting things might turn up in the meantime?
Nothing that pertains to asexuality is off limits.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Pugnacioun

Postby Pugnacioun » 04 Sep 2010, 04:39

Fantastic.

Pugnacioun

Postby Pugnacioun » 06 Sep 2010, 08:24

Upon looking further into the Knowledge Base, I have several questions:

First, upon submitting an article, it says that it must be reviewed before it will show up, and I'm curious about who is in charge of doing that/if anyone is, given that it appears that Karl hasn't posted in over a year.

Second, would podcasts be counted under blogs or audio & visual media? I would think they would be the latter, but I wanted outside confirmation.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » 07 Sep 2010, 03:49

I agree that podcasts should fall under the audio-visual category, since they are audio.

I am perfectly willing to review articles, blogs, podcasts and etc. I will have to do some more investigating to figure out the proper places to put them, but that should be do-able fairly easily. Also, I would seriously like to change the articles on the Portal page but (can you believe this?) I can't figure out how to do it!
Karl was the former owner of the site but he has become busy with other things. I am still in contact with him on a regular basis but he is no longer actively involved with Apositive.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Pugnacioun

Postby Pugnacioun » 10 Sep 2010, 19:10

Do you know what format the entries on literature were meant to take? Or, now that (it seems) no one else is actively trying to fill out the base more fully, does it really matter what the original intentions re: formatting were?

Relatedly, if there is the possibility of asexuality in research (say, a character actively disinterested in sex), but no specific references to asexuality by that name, could it still be included? Because, as of now, there are perhaps two books that have explicitly asexual characters (both of which, unsurprisingly, are for teens).

disjointed

Postby disjointed » 24 Sep 2010, 00:54

I havn't got a clue what the tech and things talked about in here

but I am fully appreciative of all those who are in here giving thier free time ..huzzah

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » 31 Dec 2010, 11:09

KAGU143 wrote:I would seriously like to change the articles on the Portal page but (can you believe this?) I can't figure out how to do it!

KAGU, I'm not sure if you're referring to the blog posts on the home page or not, but you should know that they are pulled directly from new topics created in the Blog Post Discussion forum. As soon as you post a new topic in their, the first post from that topic should appear at the top of the Blog block.

Likewise, the posts that display in the Announcements block on the portal home page are pulled directly from new topics in the Announcements forum. If you create a new topic in that forum, the first post will replace the old announcement that's currently there.

The specific settings for these blocks on the portal page plus everything else that appears on the portal page can be controlled through the Portal tab in the Admin Control Panel. Do let me know if you need any assistance!

Return to “Feedback”