Remind me Never EVER look at AVEN again!

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Remind me Never EVER look at AVEN again!

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 pm

I will choose not to think of it as hypocrisy, but instead as an acknowledgement that Apositive is a venue which allows, or even encourages, almost uncensored communication, while AVEN does not.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:16 pm

PiF wrote:If the sudden joining was to take part in a conversation that people felt passionatley about then that was great

IF they did join just to gang up on a single member...I've been there..it ain't nice and certianly it would not be tolerated in the other place.

Well. I was debating from the get-go. My silly antics later on was due to mob mentality but I certainly didn't start, or continue following the silly posts, due to it. Fae seems to be genuinly passionate about their initial post. And then Pook was just there to be sarcastic as f*ck. Did we organize it to happen - hell no. Did it happen? No denying that and I loved every moment of it :lol:

So I'm doubtful they joined just to gang up on a single member unless there is a seekrit admod skype group I'm not apart of... oh wait...

CosineTheCat

Postby CosineTheCat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Did someone take a swipe at Social Media?

Hai everyone! I'm kind of late, but I gotta say this was an interesting read. Thras, you seem to have very general perception of who is actually on AVEN, this does sadden me since I get to talk and see the amount of people that we do help. Yeah, not everyone who is on AVEN is asexual, but AVEN does help a lot of people, even if it is just for the "hey... [awkward post]... thanks for accepting me". Eh, that might just be my Welcome Lounge mod stint that I did, but acceptance is pretty much all that people are looking for.

Either way, if you are actually interested in reading academic studies related to asexuality (not just random hear say), I have a folder full of them (my last count was around 60). I may have an academic fascination of all things related to asexuality, and back bones of what asexuality is, not what tumblr comes up with.
Howdy.
I'm PINK.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Steph, why do you have access to the Admod Skype Ground when you aren't an Admod?
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

CosineTheCat

Postby CosineTheCat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:28 pm

There are different Skype groups for admods. One includes all forms (PT, DT, and admods). There are smaller more specific groups as well, just PT, just DT, just admods, and just admins. (I have been a part of all of these at one point or another; with the exception of DT group)
Howdy.
I'm PINK.

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Ciri wrote:Steph, why do you have access to the Admod Skype Ground when you aren't an Admod?

I was being sarcastic. I'm not. There are 3 groups that I know of. Admods (Admins + Mods), PT and AVEN Staff. When I was referring to the skype chat I mean the shared staff one.

PiF. What am I listening to?

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Sarcasm doesn't read well on the Internet :p
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:33 pm

A group called take that with the song called... patience

I've seen inside those skype groups...all they do is fart and laugh at people farting

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:36 pm

PiF wrote:I've seen inside those skype groups...all they do is fart and laugh at people farting

Careful now, saying fart will get you a warning! :lol:

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Okay I'm going to breach now

I did tape the last admins meeting on skype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW4sfzdTmSY

SkyWorld

Postby SkyWorld » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:42 pm

I've joined way in December, but haven't been as active here as I would like to due to a lot of things going on in my life with AVEN on the side. I wish I had been more active though, there was some things that I could have said, but it would be awkward to bring it back up. So I just... LET IT GO!

I was present in the skype conversation. I didn't want to get involved in the heat that happened in here last night, but I was sitting back and enjoying some popcorn. Shots were fired alright, and some of the sass was through the roof! I appreciate how apos has more freedom, but unfortunately, it seems that some of AVEN can't handle that.

Speaking of so, have any of you seen this thread yet? I was actually looking forward to what some of you have to say, as well as others of course. AVEN's ToS is... hmm. :/
http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1362 ... -proposal/

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:49 pm

Take note how, excluding Pook, Larien and myself, it's all the newbie mods talking here :)

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Honestly sky two observations

Some forget aven had a rule for both not telling people they were asexual and they were not asexual..whilst the mods seem to act on the no saying, they pretty much turn a blind eye to one or two telling others they are....there is very little correction on this and if you look into it, it tends to be the same 2 or 3 people who are not being challenged which has led to the most ludicrus sexual labels being flung as asexuality..which leads onto the second observation

They laugh at tumblr users saying they are making so many labels up .....whilst the very same people in aven can't see they are doing the exact same thing causing everyone to laugh at asexuality and at aven

I don't know if you have ramseys nightmares in the states...aven is like one of those restaurants...poorly run..and trying to be everything to everyone and then trying to have everything on the menu...think a taco grill bar that has sushi on the menu...it always comes to a crashing stop

The sucessfull ones who do recover and rebuild often fall back to what their core message is and build strong again..the ones who do nothing..genuinely continue to be seen as a joke who say they want things to be better but that is all they do

If you want to change the tos and not do the usual just saying it for pr purposes..then start back to where aven began and build from there. At the moment it is a social forum with very little asexuality

As to the tos..it's needed updating more than some back there want it to be updated..that is probably your greatest challenge.

SkyWorld

Postby SkyWorld » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:33 pm

PiF wrote:Honestly sky two observations

Some forget aven had a rule for both not telling people they were asexual and they were not asexual..whilst the mods seem to act on the no saying, they pretty much turn a blind eye to one or two telling others they are....there is very little correction on this and if you look into it, it tends to be the same 2 or 3 people who are not being challenged which has led to the most ludicrus sexual labels being flung as asexuality..which leads onto the second observation

They laugh at tumblr users saying they are making so many labels up .....whilst the very same people in aven can't see they are doing the exact same thing causing everyone to laugh at asexuality and at aven

I don't know if you have ramseys nightmares in the states...aven is like one of those restaurants...poorly run..and trying to be everything to everyone and then trying to have everything on the menu...think a taco grill bar that has sushi on the menu...it always comes to a crashing stop

The sucessfull ones who do recover and rebuild often fall back to what their core message is and build strong again..the ones who do nothing..genuinely continue to be seen as a joke who say they want things to be better but that is all they do

If you want to change the tos and not do the usual just saying it for pr purposes..then start back to where aven began and build from there. At the moment it is a social forum with very little asexuality

As to the tos..it's needed updating more than some back there want it to be updated..that is probably your greatest challenge.

Sometimes I do feel a little skeptical when someone says that they're asexual. Although they may or may not have actually given any context, it's just really not as common as people may think. There were some members I know (not naming names) who identify as asexual who clearly desires partnered sex, but does "feel sexual attraction" (although AVEN's FAQ defines sexual attraction as lack of desire for partnered sex). I believe the struggle with fixing the issue is actually drawing a line to make asexuality clear and teach it for what it really is, than following the Nonlibidoist road. I forgot what it's old and new name is, but you probably have heard of it. They claimed that one can only be asexual if they lack a libido.

I probably wouldn't say that AVEN is a lot like tumblr, but it does sometimes give off that vibe. Though, not all the members are like that. I know of another member (again, not naming names), in which it can be quite "tiresome" seeing this whole dictionary of labels that I don't necessarily agree that it's an actual orientation and even question it's relevance... but of course if I say that, I'd probably get my head bitten off. 8|

Ah, yes. "That government is best which governs least."

There's only so much one can do when they just so happen to have an unpopular opinion in a group in which all and everything is decided by the majority. I'll admit though, there were some unpopular opinions I used to have that weren't the best... However, it can be very hard to change anything, even if it is improvement or updates.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:48 pm

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

I get the dictionary labels person :lol: :lol: :lol:

CosineTheCat

Postby CosineTheCat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:03 pm

♥ Steph ♥ wrote:Take note how, excluding Pook, Larien and myself, it's all the newbie mods talking here :)

What, you were only a mod 4 months longer than I was. You're still a newbie mod in comparison to some of the other old timers :lol:
Howdy.
I'm PINK.

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:18 pm

CosineTheCat wrote:
♥ Steph ♥ wrote:Take note how, excluding Pook, Larien and myself, it's all the newbie mods talking here :)

What, you were only a mod 4 months longer than I was. You're still a newbie mod in comparison to some of the other old timers :lol:

Anybody that has been part of 'staff' for less than a year.

CosineTheCat

Postby CosineTheCat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:03 pm

♥ Steph ♥ wrote:
CosineTheCat wrote:

Anybody that has been part of 'staff' for less than a year.

**held 3 vastly different ranked positions in less than a year**

Eh, my year is in less than a month. Has it really been that long? Wow >.< Anyways.
Howdy.
I'm PINK.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:05 am

The other tos issue you may have is seeing heavy handed implementations brought in to take on just one person but it effects the whole of aven present and future

The walls around aven making it very unwelcoming ..... the stalking in regards to the meeting section and the photo section are just two non person specific changes not for the better

1 person complained they had an issue with a stalker when a meet took place...if a stalker was that determined then all they had to do is become a member to stalk...based on that one experience...the whole meet section was now unavaliable for non members...I would suggest some none members had until then possibly turned up at meets to see others interested/curious because they could see when meets were local to them..now they have had that friendly meet function removed

The photo debacle and celebration time section...Personally, If you put personal stuff on a public forum in a very public internet then you..and NOT the forum ...are the public guardains of your own privacy...so although the request to hide photos was put as a "what do you think" question...the whole heavy handed lock down of the whole of the celebration time forum was the best the team could come up with? is that it? your going to just keep isolating the public from aven and call it a success?

I can name at least 3 people that the team have enforced the whole forum with rules just to stop 3 people having various inputs in aven...the tos should not be the admods own toy to beat individuals with

It's widely known that when it comes to long term forward planning..it the admods were a company...they would be the last company you would call..they are crap at it

Their limit of forward planning seen recently enforces the attitude of...these are the people we have , lets wrap them in cotton wool and build a wall around aven as we are a small clique..isolating many future possible members.....this kind of deal with the present and to f*ck with avens future is and has been for many years..as far as the quality of the team has been..again using the majority vote as the only reference point

If we are running a global scale forward thinking and promoting visibility organisation...why do we seem to continue to employ hicks from hicksville, who have less vision than stevie wonder and are so stuck in the past that they see velcro as witchcraft and so nothing will ever change?

The tos has been abused but mostly by the backroom.....and has been on many events to target individuals and has rarely done anything to make aven a genuine asexual resource

Until you can stop enough of the team doing this...then any tos "updates" are pretty much pr stunts and nothing more, with faux cream on a very bitter and twisted "cake"

Pook

Postby Pook » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:55 am

Those changes were voted on by members and members were in favour of them. Why should the team ignore what the community wants here?

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:19 am

I'm glad you opened that door arch :D ...good to see the team do not ignore what the community wants

care to comment on these community wants?

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1327 ... hs-w-poll/

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1327 ... ns-w-poll/

the first one, the community wants that you to revert back to a 6 months qualification to run for an admod

The second is the community..and by some margin...saying that all mods should have a term limit and not roles for life

given how you mention the team should not ignore what the community wants, when can we now expect to see the return to 6 months quali and the term limits for the mods ?

Pook

Postby Pook » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:32 am

You didn't answer my question.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:40 am

I think I did clearly but you chose to ignore it. I challenged the premise of your argument to substantiate it, as it's flawed ..you chose not to answer

I have showed you that you have just said, you will listen to the members when it's in your favour but when it involves you taking accountability..you will ignore members wants

therefore your question is not a question at all. but lets play that game

You said ...Why should the team ignore what the community wants here?.....they shouldn't is the correct answer

so my question to you would then be ..your own question on the two threads about members votes....Why should the team ignore what the community wants here

Your turn to answer with the additional question I asked but you haven't replied....given how you mention the team should not ignore what the community wants, when can we now expect to see the return to 6 months quali and the term limits for the mods ?
Last edited by PiF on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:44 am

It seems as though when they agree with what YOU want to do, it's the 'community's decision' (even though one poll ran for only FOUR days) but when the community wants something you don't, it's ignored and 'We know better' comes into play.

I've written more than once n admods that you are CUSTODIANS of the site - it is not your private playground.
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

Pook

Postby Pook » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:56 am

I happen to agree all 3 things should happen based on community support. However, I'm not the team so my opinion only goes so far.

My point is that you can't say the team is bad for not following the community direction when it comes to term limits and then turn around and say the team is also bad for following the community when it comes to making forums members only.

It's one or the other.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:10 am

Pook wrote:It's one or the other.

I totally agree and that was my point..if, a huge IF ....if the teams decision making is based on member want's then the process is incredibly simple

The members wants were voted on during a poll set up by the team. The members wants by a majority said please return the selection qualifying back to 6 months and not the three the team changed it too

the members wants were also that all admods should hold their role for a fixed period then they must go up for election

Both..were the members wants and both have been ignored

a small point if I can

you said..... My point is that you can't say the team is bad for not following the community direction when it comes to term limits and then turn around and say the team is also bad for following the community when it comes to making forums members only.

It's one or the other

Look at the dates if you would...both of the wants asking for quali and elections changes by the members were BEFORE you put walls up around aven vote you mentioned

so timeline wise..it was the team who ignored the member wants first, then allowed them when it came to what the team wanted

by dateline... it is the backroom that should have had the message it is one or the other...not the members

In it's simplest of terms ..you lot have been caught out
Last edited by PiF on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:10 am

So why aren't you consistent or is consistency only something that matters when it's what you want to do anyway?

Pook wrote:
Thrasymachus is AVEN's Trump

He will build a wall to keep the neckbeards out and make AVEN great again.

Have you seen the irony in this post yet? Admods are busy building walls and keeping out the very people who need it most

What I think Thrassy-poo really wants is a hug.

Why is it OK for you to use 'poo' to someone yet when PiF used the term 'poo poo pants' in HoBo; it was considered threatening and PiF permabanned as a result.

Do you understand the term 'consistent'??? :)
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

SkyWorld

Postby SkyWorld » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:31 am

About the whole elections thing, at least in this case, it's not being ignored, but it's just going slow because of its complications and multi-steps. I've updated the admod bi-weekly thread in the archives that our discussion is by technicality "complete", but it's awaiting a project. http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/7945 ... 1061685037

Unfortunately, polls with members are unbinding and always have. I don't necessarily agree with it and I don't really like how it's "unbinding". Though to be fair, most of the time the team does take action to what the majority of the community wants, sometimes.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:45 am

I think where things stand out Sky is that often when we hear things are slow and it's complicated..it is almost always things the team do not want to do no matter what the member vote is and they try to bury it..those two links I offered, were a two weeks open poll in january and a promise to get back and ....nothing

When the team wanted to stop people posting links to aven they dressed it up as "member security"...the poll was only open for 4 days and acted on within minutes

You can see why something isn't right and some are being less than open or honest

I do not accept arche's comment of However, I'm not the team so my opinion only goes so far. it's a red herring

When it's something the admods want in place it is dealt with within days, and "the members wanted it so" is the excuse that is used

When it's something the admods do not want to do..they ignore "the members wanted it so" and then they bury it hoping no one mentions it again

The members majority is the members majority..you can't say it works well that way when it suits the team and then say it's shit when the team want to hide stuff

P,S. the link you posted is no longer able to be seen unless you are a member since they put the walls up :P