Remind me Never EVER look at AVEN again!

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
Ciri
Mega Member

Re: Remind me Never EVER look at AVEN again!

Postby Ciri » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 pm

The one you both have issues with is currently with 'none of these candidates' winning.

I had an opinion, personally, I think it was a fair one which will no doubt be hidden.

Posted Today, 10:14 PM
I voted for neither because (and this is supposed to be constructive criticism!):

RH: You volunteered for this position without being aware of what the role actually involves. This suggests to me that it was done upon a whim. One of the biggest issues with the way AVEN is run is that there is little consistancy ~ a cause of which is the high mod turnover. Somebody who joins without fully thinking about what they are doing, wont be in that position for very long. You have said already that outside issues may cause you to not be able to do your job fully. AVEN deserves a mod who knows what they are letting themselves in for and who isn't going to quit two weeks later.

Haley: You posted your intention to run in both elections. This suggests to me that you don't know the rules surrounding elections. If you are not aware of those rules, how does the community know that you fully comprehend the rules you will be enforcing. There is also the fact that admods must uphold those rules and a higher standard of them that are kept hidden in the backroom - there are guidelines for everything. The desire to run in both elections also suggests to me that your intentions for running may be more to gain influence for yourself rather than to provide a service for the community. Most mods run for their favourite forum or the one that would most suit them - the two you wished to run for were completely different in essence.

Basically, come back later and demonstrate that you understand good reasons for running, the role of a mod and whether you are personally in a position to contribute to the running of the forums and backroom discussion. Not understanding the rules and admod duties could lead to issues such as backroom breaches and conflict something I wish to avoid.
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52 pm

I promised someone I wouldn't set up any further accounts in aven so I haven't and for that reason I cannot access the voting thread and see your message

Although it will be uncomfortable for those candidates I think you hit the nail on the head. Aven has a torrid past of mod turnover and even worse since they now control who can run and who cannot.

But if you are to stand any chance of raising avens standards then you really do need to have mods who want to be there and ideally mods when they run for a specific forum..to actually want to run for that forum and have some knowledge of it at least...one didn't even know what tos meant?

the olds election shows how much you need the right person and not the wrong one and on this occasion...none of the above would be the best outcome.

just to show what a mess they are in I saw this thread ...not suprisingly they haven't thought it through at all http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1135 ... n-abstain/

I hope Ciri they let your message stand and also understand that you have done so with the forum and olds forums best interest at heart

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:13 am

It's still visible at the moment. YOu said what some (many???) are thinking in private but wont say. Admods must remain impartial in public and to be honest even in admods this time round as it's possible that one of the candidates might win.
They can't vet the candidates at the present - except for the warn thing or if an individual has threatened to breach (in the case of an ex mod has already done so) - and I doubt that Fosco would ever be allowed to stand again for example
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Holy hell ... yipes. I surely hope that Fosco would never be allowed access to the ACP again.
I thought he had voluntarily chosen to fall off the edge of the earth and never be heard from again. Did he return? (Or did you just pick him as an example of a NNNnnnnoooooooo?)

And of course, the shameless breacher who was there when I was still a mod should be a big NO as well.

People who have a known history of intentionally causing damage when their desires are thwarted should be kept away from the big red buttons.
ALL of the big red buttons! I don't want to see them in politics, either!
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:38 am

Yes, Fosco was the prime example of 'Never to be allowed under any circunstances even if Hell freezes over' people. He hasn't (as far as anyone knows) returned to AVEN under another name
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:52 am

Was Fosco the admin who had a crush on EGD and when she went over to see him he hit on her? Then in a big huff soon after he left aven and deleted thousands of threads he had an input in taking out thousands of other members inputs too?

I get confused on some mods/admins as the turn over is high and some are far more forgeatable than others?

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:07 am

So that's the reason he left...we're friends on Fakebook but I've never asked him. Yes, he did a lot of damage to AVEN records when he went.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:03 pm

As I recall, what Fosco did was delete his own account in a fit of either rage or hurt or who knows what ...

I will admit to there being a small but genuine chance that he had no idea what would happen when he did it, because I don't think it had ever been done before with that particular version of the software. Doesn't matter though. He proved that he couldn't think past his own feelings when things got tough.

What happened was that by deleting his own account he also deleted ALL of the threads that he had ever started, and that wreaked total havoc on the board - especially in the Admods forum where he had actually been very helpful and productive for quite a while. He had started a number of very valuable topics that had been discussed at length and some of those discussions had led to rule changes and (maybe?) some disciplinary actions. (Don't remember.)
All of those topics were gone forever, and that left the remaining admods with the unpleasant task of trying to explain why certain things were done when the documentation which explained the reasons had been erased. Saying that they could REMEMBER seeing it was never good enough for some people who were convinced that the admod team were a bunch of lying, incompetent, power-hungry control freaks.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:45 pm

I agree I don't think he did it as a deliberate act of sabotage but more trying to remove his account and himself from aven...but a simple hey I want to do this will it be okay would have worked better

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:38 am

Just logged in to check on how things were going - NoA option is around 13 'votes' ahead but there's still time

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:57 am

In theory although you are not being asked to have an input into the forum you want to run, there does need to be a certain amount of knowledge of that forum and a genuine desire to be that forums mod. Applying for applying sake with little or no knowledge is a recipe for disaster.

I wouldn't run for for any of the identities forums as I don't think they should be there but the others were a situation arise, I would have considered.

Having seen the oldies candidates, they are ill informed and gave lack lustre input.s I hope none of them make it and it is covered for a while until they can gather up enough of those who could do a good job

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:50 am

Agreed. The World Watch and Archiving elements could be picked up with Ithaca's help and while it might be said that a thorough knowledge of Oldies isn't necessary it would have been nice if they'd at least put in a few appearances and given the members a chance to get to know them.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:25 am

'Olds' is still mod-less. I hope that next time they put it up for adoption they get better candidates. THis is the first time it's ever happened.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Probably the right decision

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:26 am

I assume there will be another election but it depends on whether they can persuade some good quality people. Two potential candidates have ruled themselves out - both a great pity because they would have made really good mods. Dexy would be a great choice but rl is pretty busy for him at the moment and I'm not sure he'd take it on. See the common denominator? Those who WOULD be good in the job are too conscientious to take it on knowing they couldn't give it the time it needs.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:44 pm

I think it highlights the imbalance and so projects what we need to avoid..asexuality is teens with too much time on their hands infront of a laptop

as people go beyond the teens/early adult phase and they come out of the cocooned phase of mum and dad supporting them they then either as I suspect most of them do...realise they were never asexual at all and then move back to a normal sexual/sexual relationship arena and the few remaining who are long term asexual go into adult hood where having huge chunks of time on their hands is not so much possible as they have jobs/rent/mortgage/ friends outside in the real world etc etc

That then reduces the amount of those who would wish to be involved with..lets have some honesty here..a kiddie club with more variations of insecurity than any mental hospital.

Add to that the organisational aspect of avens backroom and you can see why so few adults want to get involved and there in lies something that needs to be corrected, as with the olds, unless we also promote that it is a range of ages and not just late teens/early adults. then asexuality will always been seen as a kids phase

This is where I hope Apositive can pick up the baton so to speak and promote what aven lacks

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:22 am

If I were making a new forum I doubt I'd have mod elections - I'd just appoint. But...

AVEN's election system works hugely better than I would have expected. Over the years I've been there, I can count on a single hand (not naming any names) those admods who were unsuitable candidates and should never have been elected. That's really not bad going considering the high turnover and high number of fora. And with the introduction of "None of the above", there's a lower chance than an unsuitable candidate will be elected simply because there is no alternative on offer.

The AVEN electorate is actually far more sensible when it comes to choosing mods than I would have ever guessed, knowing nothing about the forum.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:37 am

One of the best forums I use the owner is ACTIVE and appoints his own team and when a vacancy arrives he chooses from long term members. He uses 12 months minimum believing if your there after 12 months your probably going to stay a bit longer. What is different is that their forum is mostly adults and not kids so it works as they have some real life experience to back up internet forum opinion. The benefit of this is that know the difference between what is actually offensive and what ispersonally offensive, that isn't as hard as it sounds.

I like in aven, as I would were ever there is an election, the addition of none of the above. Although in that snowflake world some will claim it puts candidates through a life changing punishment that resembles internet bullying and they have been left traumatised and it's the sites fault..Yawn you losers...I think it actually raises the questions that are more appropriate...why do you want to run, what do you have to offer, do you understand the difference between personally offensive and actually offensive and can you take stick?

cdrdash

Postby cdrdash » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi Ho Tanwen. Here you are and some explanation as to why you left AVEN. Sounds like a lot goes on behind the scenes at AVEN that I have no clues about. I toyed with the idea of volunteering to mod the oldies but it seemed too time consuming to me so I passed on it. Now that I have discovered you here, I might tune into Apostive more regularly and see what you are up to!

Cathy
cdrdash = Cathy Denshaw Roberts nicknamed DASHy

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi Cathy - lovely to see you here :D . I wish I could be more forthcoming about why I stepped down and mostly absented myself from AVEN but the rule is 'What happens in admods stays in admods until declassified' and even though I'm no longer on AVEN, I will still abide by 'da rulz' :lol: :lol: :lol: . If my reignation thread is ever declassified, I hope people will understand and not judge me too harshly. It's a much quieter place than AVEN but at least you know your posts wont get lost here and mostly will get some sort of response.

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:13 am

Welcome back cdr! (We've met a couple times when I've visited SF.)
cdrdash wrote:I toyed with the idea of volunteering to mod the oldies but it seemed too time consuming to me so I passed on it.

Aw, it would have been good having you on board...
Last edited by flergalwit on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:32 am

Hi Dash

Always good to see not only newer members but old ones (as in membership) coming back

cdrdash

Postby cdrdash » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi Michael, good to see you here too. And thanks for the welcome back PiF. Ily told me about this group, I came once and never got back to it. I think I just had too many forums on my plate.

Tanwen, where do declassified threads show up? Would a regular member be able to view a declassified thread? Would I even know it was declassified or would it pop up as a regular old post.

Cathy
cdrdash = Cathy Denshaw Roberts nicknamed DASHy

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:40 pm

They're under 'Site Comments' as Mod Archives. Here http://www.asexuality.org/en/forum/24-admod-archives/ . Doesn't happen very often though
Maybe you could encourage a few other Oldies to pay a visit here - not to leave AVEN but to give this site some support; it's different and as I've said before, a bit like AVEN was in the days before it got so big :D

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:38 am

Certainly you can have both but I think where Apositive is a home for Asexuals is those who are able to discuss things without the report button being pressed every 5 minutes by the professionally offended and also allows discussion between those who have actually experienced life rather than just have an opinion on it.

This thread is a good example

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/1146 ... l-section/

God bless PanFictosaurus☣Rex ..she could get offended in an empty room

It highlights why so many in aven are not even aware or or able to comprehend that it is already a teen/young adult site

So yes, Apositive very much as an asexual site can compliment aven for those of a more disconcerning palette

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:40 am

Yep, no report button. In fact no rules at all except one 'Be nice'. I once clicked on the 'Rules' link and discovered there weren't any :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:29 am

The irony of course that as there are so few rules other than be nice, we have very few warned or banned...possibly a better way of doing things

Biggest reason why I like Apos, you can disagree but still repsect others views

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:54 pm

HI!!! And welcome back to "active duty", Dash.

LOL- It's true, the moderation system is a lot different here than it is at AVEN. No warnings, and nobody has been banned yet. 'Not saying it could never happen, but it would have to be a pretty extreme case. Heck - I even put up with trolls sometimes, just for fun, because they can really liven things up quite a bit.

If a comment really crosses the line then I will edit it as soon as I see it and PM the poster explaining why. There's no other penalty at all unless they become buttholes about being corrected or something. (Hasn't happened yet.) This has worked very well so far, and I haven't had to do even this much for quite a while, TBH. Most people seem to appreciate being treated like adults and they will return the same amount of respect that they are given.

tja

Postby tja » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:52 pm

I was approached for being mod of Older, but politely declined. I love the fun parts of AVEN, the rest is too sexual for me.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi tja and welcome

Would it be rude if me to ask about your too sexual observation?