Meetup.com RSVP rant

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
cdrdash

Meetup.com RSVP rant

Postby cdrdash » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:44 am

Anyone use meetup.com here? I use it. And I'm getting really tired of folks who RSVP Yes for events and then one or two days before the event change it to No. I am hosting an event and last week 20 people had RSVPed Yes (20 is the limit for folks coming on the hike) and 18 people were on the waiting list. In the past 2 days, it has changed to 15 Yes RSVP and the rest (23 people) have changed their RSVP to no. About five of the No responses were from people who came off the waiting list but had already made plans thinking they would not get off the waiting list. This just bugs me. I want to create meetup.com RSVP etiquette and here are my proposals:

• Only RSVP yes if you are fairly certain you will attend the event
  • Do not RSVP yes if you really mean maybe
  • Do not RSVP yes if you really mean until I find something better to do
  • If you change your Yes RSVP to No simply because you changed your mind try and do it at least a week before the event
  • If you change your Yes RSVP to No a day or two before the event, consider apologizing for the late cancellation.
  • If you are on the waiting list and make other plans that you don't intend on changing, change you RSVP to No.
  • If you RSVPed Yes, please show up for the event!

Anyone have any more etiquette items to add to my list. ... OK ... *rant* off.

Cathy
cdrdash = Cathy Denshaw Roberts nicknamed DASHy

PiF
Apositive Star

Re: Meetup.com RSVP rant

Postby PiF » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:03 am

It is incredibly hard to organise things on the internet as many who say they are going to turn up don't. Some are genuine but some were half hearted in turning up

I wish I had an answer..if there was one most event planners would buy iy I'm sure...On some events, particulary where costs were involved I have seen the organiser offer a you mut pay say $10 within say 7 days before the event...then you get that $10 handed back to you when you turn up or lose it....It wouldn't work for most but might work for some

Again though..sorry the rascals let you down

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:46 am

Yes, that's what deposits are for I suppose, but that might be a bit formal for a meetup among friends esp if there aren't any group costs involved.

Another (risky) option is to increase the number allowed to 25 say, because it's likely only about 20 will come if that.

Why is the number restricted to 20 anyway?

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:54 am

Is this when you're organising your walks? I believe the airlines routineley overbook to allow for people not turning up - but they do have problems when everyone does.
I know I sometimes say I'll go somewhere and then panic when the time comes and phone with my excuses. So mostly I don't book to go anywhere now because I know there's a pretty good chance I'm going to panic.
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

cdrdash

Postby cdrdash » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:54 pm

I'm not sure why the meetup organizer chose 20 but I like that limit as most of the time with a 20 count the hike ends up being 9 to 12 people. Its no fun leading much more than 15 people for me. The crowd gets spread out and I, the leader, have to do lots of counting and going back and forth to make sure all 20 are going the right way at each junction. Its much easier when its 10 or less but 20 does allow for the cancellation factor. It works but it still makes me frustrated that we have to do this work around rather than people just being courteous and only RSVPing yes if they mean it.

Another reason for the limit of 20 people is to not have a huge crowd of people trampling on sensitive environments in the parks and making lots of noise. Smaller groups are just more pleasant in a park setting and better for the environment.

Deposits are an idea but I don't see how we could collect the money easily and I think it might put people off too much.

I am mostly fishing for sympathy I think and not solutions. :roll:
cdrdash = Cathy Denshaw Roberts nicknamed DASHy

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:27 am

In that casse, rant away :) It must be frustrating and spoil your enjoyment of the walk and you're there to have fun too!
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:23 am

Nothing wrong with an outpuring..I do it all the time..according to Michael :lol:

Rant away

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:55 pm

PiF wrote:Nothing wrong with an outpuring..

Depends what it's an outpouring of... :ohnoes: *dodges*