AVEN backroom leak

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
flergalwit
Mega Member

AVEN backroom leak

Postby flergalwit » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:24 pm

In a glitch completely unrelated to the hacking, I'm sorry to say that part of the AVEN backroom has become visible to the public.

Our tech team are working on fixing this. In the meantime I need to point out that these threads contain highly classified and sensitive information. Therefore it is vitally important that no-one clicks on this link I'm putting up here. OK?

But if you do click it by accident, please make sure you don't click on any of the threads within. But if you do accidentally click on the threads within, please remember not to read them. The security of AVEN and all its members is at stake here. Thank you.

PiF
Apositive Star

Re: AVEN backroom leak

Postby PiF » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:20 am

OOO I thought what day is it ? and Michael would never leak..from his pants maybe but not from aven.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:07 am

Hahahahaha!!

I have no idea who went to all of that work, or if maybe it was a collaborative effort, but thumbs up for everybody involved.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

flergalwit
Mega Member

Postby flergalwit » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:30 am

You mean you READ the thing? When I specifically warned everyone against it??? :ohnoes:

IN seriousness, it was a collaborative effort. The forum has been around for a few weeks (as the dates on it make clear) but was only accessible to the Admods/PT until today.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:17 am

Goes to show they can collaborate when they want too for things for themselves...now..if only we can get them to collaborate to the benefit of the members :lol: :P

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:52 am

Awww come on, PiF. That was for the benefit of the members.
Fun for all - what's not to like?

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:15 am

Id like more to be honest..slowly slowly catchee monkee ...they are slowly understanding.

when you remove yourselves from the very people who voted you in to make it better...and then go more mute than a mute man in a mute orgy when something goes wrong ..... it creates divides

some of the good mods/admins get it, so stay active on the boards...others by actions..seem to not want to mix it with the great unwashed.

I'd prefer to see mods engaged..it's the best way to stay relevant and informed...so if they want to interact with a human side more...I'm down with that

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:48 pm

Pif.

Did you notice.

That when I was you.

You posted in the backroom?

Told you it would happen one day :p
You're all dead and I'm your eternal punishment.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:05 pm

I hadn't but just went to check and it's gone...the leak haz been plugg-ed

:lol: cheeky rascal, I bet that had a few people thinking wtf and brown undergarments momments

I wouldn't rule out being part of some kind of planning for the future review and/or even just using (h)aven but....I think there would be a mass walk out if ever me in the backroom happened bless em

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:50 am

Glad the 'Leak' was well received! I took the idea from an old MMORPG forum that did a similar prank. I must give credit to yourself PiF. The name "The Backroom" I got from your use of the word.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 am

Hi Steph...nice to see you here...your welcome...the backroom often pinch my ideas :lol:

Although ..imagine the reaction if it said ...PiF is going to be allowed back in and be allowed to run for mod.....now that might have caused some panic as my dear friend cactus transbread points out.

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 am

Yes I'm posting in Apositive.

I would be much more incline to say 'gain inspiration' from your ideas 8) However you did manage to impress me the other day with a post regarding Admod Burnouts. If you don't mind, I think I'll draw some elements of your post and expand upon them as a project?

Communication between everyone is becoming a large theme these days. The Administration, Moderators, AVEN Membership and the Asexuality Movement as a whole should be working together. Might as well help out where possible. I've been doing Declass PiF, I'm tempted to go back and count how many threads I've declassed that were about you (Currently in the last 2011 era) :P Some had excellent points, others were questionable. I haven't had a good chance to determine if you're a genius or a person with a broken clone visor. Better to gauge my own opinion in these conversations than listen to others with past bias'.

I highly suspect I'm reaching into a beehive with this next sentence but; What do you think the Asexuality Movement as a whole needs PiF?
Last edited by ♥ Steph ♥ on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:11 am

LOL!!

Now, where did I put that new bag of popcorn ...?

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:14 pm

*pulls up a deckchair next to Nancy*

Toffee popcorn?

What the Asexuality Movement needs is Identity Policing and a Backbone.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:24 pm

O my :lol: :lol: :lol: I can see why Nancy and Ciri wants some pop corn :lol: ..off course toffee

Steph..any mod, admin, tech or even the lord jesus himself (David Jay) can ask me a question or opinion..Michael will tell you I'm not short of either but I am also prepared to listen and take abuse/opinions too..i may disagree but i will listen.

absolutely if you see something that can help and I've said it...use it...my copyrights rates are dead cheap :D

Communication from the team towards the members always have been crap... it hasn't helped that the messiah(dj) comes in, spouts his latest fad then leaves again...personally i think he's a cock but..it would be good to build up involvement from him to members say perhaps once a month or once a quarter ...do a q&a with him so the membership can relate to him because at the moment...the only person he relates too...is in the mirror....also at times of great stress he needed to be present, to be the rudder on a wandering ship to support the mods/admins/pt who needed that extra bit of "team"...perhaps he's just shit at leadership, from actions i would say he is but communication falls downward and has to start from somewhere

this has been a problem for years though as very little has changed since it was recognised in the backroom http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/6685 ... y-to-move/

from admins to admods...the longer you do anything the more likely you are to be come comfortable/complacent and without challenges ...you can get set in your ways..that is fine when your an individual but when your part of a team...and you know there is no way they can get you out of that team...then resentment can come in...that is why I have pushed that all admins/admods have to relinquish their roles after 2 years (which the project team have done for many years) for 2 reasons...things change and sometimes people have to as well but also if an admin or mod knows they need votes if they want to run again...they tend to interact better with the community rather than just look down on it

Ten year review then....messiah did his usual ..came in..hey okay guys yeah I have another really cool idea..hold on a minute whilst i put my vegan smoothie down down on this wheatgrass mat...avens over ten years old now and it's grown so i want a review to see where we are, where we want to be ...by the way i don't really mean this and I will do as I always do and forget about it in about 4 weeks..like usual :D ......we needed a review of some kind because what aven is now is not what aven was created for. Avens is now more for sexual lites than asexuals..so it would have been a massive step forward to know where we need to step ...to avoid stepping in dog shit. If you do not know where your future is then it's difficult to have a positive one.

avens backroom are volunteers..and burnout is far too high..some of that is longer term admins/mods who should be better at managing things by now and secondly, some of the newer ones are so unrealistic because instead of believing an asexual is a person who lacks sexual attraction...they have made the definition like a rubber band with so many variances it's hard to be correct and direct... I wonder also...seeing the descriptions on the mods/admins avatars..how many admins/mods on the largest asexual site..are actually asexuals?

workload..i have never believed in the a mod must attend every day..if you were paid of course you should but as your all volunteers then every couple of days should be enough. I don't believe you should check every post within your forum...lets face it most posts are okay and there is a plethara of people amongst the members who push that report button like they are masturbating should anything go wrong..and if you were genuinely a team then those who are logged in would cover..you are supposed to operate all to the same rules so it should be easy to cover your colleagues, You need more confidence in being a team...all these put together should encourage the team to take care of each other and each others areas when days off happen and start to rebuild the "we" in team

declass I've asked for it to be done because that is what your rules say..although as time goes by we are seeing more rules have been removed/adjusted/forgotten without the members knowledge.

Declass is a waste of time..keep them in the history books back there as a training guide for like.."hey i remember that..how did we handle it last time as it seems to have come up again"...but actually declassing...give it up...huge waste of mods time and should only be used either on bans when requested directly by the individual concerned..or ..when a dubious policy change has occured and a poll run to see if the members even want a declass because most declasses have never been requested at all.

on the point of me being prominant :D wait till you get to 2012 :lol: you will also see just how often one or two there voted with hate rather than impartiality whilst saying " give PiF a warning and do it now...what do you mean we have to review it first???"..those people are the same people over and over again and stand out the more you read... that said, I do remember the thread declass that highlighted TEA been given a nudge warning after becoming a mod but remained as a mod..tan was vocal in that with the gibbs slap :lol:

what I did notice when reading the very few that have been declassed was how often some tried to issue me a warning not based on a complaint in aven but off site places such as tumblr, twatter and those less than impartial mods saying ..hey look PiF is putting people off from coming into aven...look at those declasses and you will find some were so desperate to give me a warning that they used other sites as a justification...sites i never used i must add as i do not use social media sites...despite the rule no member will have off site inputs used in avens warning system.

also by allowing aven be a kiddie playground it has largely isolated many older and long term genuine asexuals...if it is ever to be seen as something genuine across the ages..this needs to be addressed..if we allow it to be seen as nothing more than a teen phase then we will have trouble with integrity of asexuality and long term viability of the movement.

As to the asexual movement..there isn't one...the bulk of "asexuals" are not asexual but late teens/early adults finding their way through the labyrinth discovery phase..why is this a problem? because they may just by numbers..be shaping asexuality with consequences that very few of them will ever face because they would have been long gone... but long term asexuals will probably end up cleaning the mess up ..if we ever get a second chance for a first impression?

you have the gay/lgbt queer idealists who like most lgbt related groups are fine in college/uni and their own bubble but then join the real world and unless they get their own way throw the "homophobe card" around against anyone who doesn't share thier view...a good example...messiah and others trying to make us a lgbt franchise..despite almost every poll in aven showing the majority do not want that..the lgbt are a sexual body...very sexual...and we are mostly not...polls again show most in aven are not gay/queer/trans etc but still some push for that lgbt franchise

i agree with quite a few in the lgbt community who see asexuality as not part of the lgbt but asexuality is trying to ride the coat tails of the lgbt for visibility.....I once said "you can get even more visibility if you tattoo a swastika on your forehead"...visibility is not important...correct visibility is and we are not by majority anything other than straight. That doesn't mean asexuals can't be gay or support gay causes and people, but they need to stop trying the make the majority of straight asexuals gay too by association to the lgbt....Asexuality can be strong enough on it's own.

so we are at a crossroads..but given the label obsession the Asexual community has it's not the conventional crossroads but more like a hydra

most claiming to be asexual are not and will never be long term asexuals...some want to become a lgbt franchise..and a leader who doesn't know how to lead or communicate...how do we bring those together?...i don't think at the momment you can as at least two are direct opposites and one is a waste of time

but...if everyone is prepared to do some hard work and have a lot of honesty then we can do asexuality 2.0..refocus who and what we are...project that accurately then we can believe the message we are asking others to believe and stand proud on our own two feet and on our own merits

Given the community we now have i don't think it will happen but instead our community will fragment even further... the idealistic temporary asexuals will continue to tear aven apart with their obsessive everything but asexual labelitus, the leadership will still act like a rabbitt in the headlights making more rules up to ban decenters hoping no one will notice the cracks and asexuality as a genuine thing will continue to throw more own goal doubts for those to use against us..new forum for this, new forum for that, asexuality is this but not always..you might as well be trying to speak english to a yanomami

perhaps asexuality does need to split to see what asexuals actually are?... what the real message is? because at the momment..... no one is stepping up, taking the lead and making sure we as a community can be as good as it could be because their are too many factions and looking at aven it is not getting any simpler

what asexuality needs to make it work...is the simple ability to say yes..or..no..but those types are outweighed by those who have a vested interest in keeping things cloudy and vague because they haven't the conviction or courage to change it to make it right. I do believe we should be honest, take pride in accurate asexuality and accurate visibility...then and only then will we have a message people can "get"

Added this bit this morning...some will try and say I am anti grey/semi/demi, anti gay anti lgbt etc...(this is of course bolloxs as my drive is accurate definition and promotion of who and what asexuals and asexuality is) and is used by those who are uncomfortable with people having a different view to them.

We have gay asexuals so they have a foot in both camps and we have straight people like myself who will support the lgbt in what they do for their main group.....However there are very very few asexual places and of those even less that retain the original intent ...a place for asexuals to feel welcome and within their like minds that also welcomes others who re looking for information to share about asexuality...look at aven and see that the majority of it is not asexual so removing some of the asexual intent of a community place for asexuals

where we have lost the way is the balance...and balance is the key here... of the very few asexual places..the majority now are non asexuals that have few actual asexuals and i think we do need an honest discussion within our own group and as part of asexuality for the next ten years and that is why steps forward as a movement will only work if we as a group and more importantly, project a message that bonds us.

there are millions of gay sites and they represent the gay movements main drive mostly quite well, there miliions upon millions of mental health forums that help those whose main drive is just mental health, etc etc .....but, there are only a few asexual places that cater for asexuals as their main drive...and for those they are incredibly important that they remain with the main drive for asexuals by asexuals but ...welcomes others to an asexual website...they are supposed to be an asexual resource

as for the movement...I think first we need to be more resolute on our definition but also be aware some want to change it..if it went to a vote i suspect those will not be long term asexual or asexual at all MAY vote in a way that removes the correct definition and replaces it with something like ...there is no firm definition it can be whatever you want...they are entitled to that discussion and perhaps its one we need to have before the next ten years?

As a movement we also have to distinguish between real world and internet world and the meets are a good guide of this. In the uk 100% of the young internet generation have an opinion on the current political elections demanding they be heard...but when it comes to the physical act of getting off their arse and going to make a physical vote..only 37% of that youth group actually vote and so that ties in with real and internet world

when you have over 69,000 registered members between two asexual sites but less than 5 people turn up to a large capital city meet then we need some honesty...are we a movement...or just a large group of people on the internet with an opinion?..as a movement we need more people to do and not just say so as a movement we need to discuss,promote and push on our own two feet who and what we are...if we are nothing other than an internet movement then this is probably as good as we are ever going to get...if we are to be in the real world then we need to understand our lack of physical prescence has it's limitations as does hijacking others coat tails in a desperate need for visibility...if you want real world changes, you have to make them in the real world.

At the moment some think asexuality is "organically growing"...others may say "we are moving far far to far away from what asexuality is"...what do you think ?

Steph you said I haven't had a good chance to determine if you're a genius or a person with a broken clone visor...depending on the day probably a bit of both..but more likely the former :lol:

Hopefully I've explained in my usual fragmented way but if there is anything else you would like to know...I always have ears..and low copyright rates..i mentioned that didn't I ?

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:03 am

I think I frightened her off :oops:

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:30 am

There was a lot in that post; give her half a chance to process it - I warned her you were a self opinionated arse! (And if I said that on AVEN I'd get a warning :) )

She's a good 'un - hope you haven't frightened her off
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:26 am

I'm not frightened off :halo: I'm just trying to figure out how I can take that information and generate some positive development from it.

Besides, until recently my primary focus of the asexuality movement was "How can I help others to discover their own (a)sexuality?". Now I'm wondering how to approach achieving that goal. There are so many various methodologies.

Then there is also the fact that you hit the nail on many problems plaguing the backroom PiF. I'm still new to the whole "What happens in Admods stays in Admods" so forgive me if I'm hesitant to discuss those aspects :wah: . However please note I am in the early stages of a big project, so all input and emerging issues WILL BE TACKLED.

Alright, I have 2 hours on a train ride. Let me write up a response!

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:29 am

David Jay certainly has a 'Rock Star' esque about him. I've only had a single day of conversation with him myself, and they were very quick. It seems that the nostalgia is hindering progress in the form of stopping others from making changes. However I can see that a lack of participation on DJ's part is an issue. I wouldn't say 'shit at leadership' because we don't know his qualities in truth. Maybe our solution would be to have a new 'Rock Star esque' asexuality representative, who activly communicates with the membership, and this leading representative should rotate depending on activity. However that requires a charismatic personality which to my understanding DJ is. I would actually like Michael to take that role, haha.

It would be wise to hold biyearly elections, however considering there are currently 13 Moderator positions and 5 Project Team members. Even if we exclude the 5 Admins from the biyearly elections, that would still be a total of 18 elections minimum per 2 years (Not accounting for resignations/ forced removals which I will cover in the burnout paragraph). An election under a month and a half apart. That would hold much more bad than good if we consider the following.

Election participation already appears to be at a low.
The previously elected moderators would be running again, and have a membership 'favoritism' against fresh membership (As will be the case with Ithaca and +Pookzar these elctions)
There is a higher chance of a massive circle-jerk. It's kinda' obvious that the favouritism will extend to the Admods when a previously elected admod is in an election (exception is with forced resignations by reason), which is the most active identifiable group on AVEN to participate in elections as a whole (Q&A, voting, etc)

In all, imposing a biyearly election wouldn't achieve much. Fresh admods would need a miracle to beat previous admods, election participation is at a minimum and there are too many positions to fill.

I won't be discussing the burnout issue because that IS part of my project, which is currently in the early stages (And quite a bit of it would be considered breaching. I'm really sorry PiF). However as for the 'How many Admods are actually asexual?” that is an interesting question. Did they once identify as asexual, got elected and then realized 'hey, I might not be asexual, but I love the community too much' . At the end of the day, does it matter? Allies are an accepted part of AVEN, while I would prefer that an ally doesn't represent AVEN in say Media situations or panels. I hold no issue with them moderating the forums.

Workload, I think I'll file this under my burnout project category. I'm stirring my cauldron to fix all of this and there are some respectable ideas already :)

I guess I'm technically second-in-command with Declass now that Robin is stepping down (Second only to Kisa). As I promised, I will resume the discussion about the request Policy on June 1st personally. However two things will happen. Either declass gets caught up to date and threads are declassed after 1/3/6 months (That is going to re-vote on the length of time until it is eligible) or Admods will be a completely visible forum. I want to propose the latter but at this point, it will be shot down immediately. :/ While I don't believe the Admod conspiracy theories (In part because I can view behind the scenes and laugh at the inaccuracies), Admods do need to be accounted for, and declassing the threads will bring much benefit. Maybe not past ones such as before 2014 (As those are just historical documentation at this point) but recent ones would.

Also I will be proposing your idea of setting a 'red line' date in the Admods Only forum, begin priority declass from that date working forward, keep up to date and just do past ones when we get around to it. I don't have the same pride as others to say “PiF had the idea, therefore we can't use it”. No screw that, it's a good idea, why not consider it!

That whole nudge thread was confusing, and a fault of the democracy (Oligarchy?) system. Its a little too slow for my liking. Causes issues when events require immediate attention. Not so much a fault of AVEN but that political model as a whole.

A summary of the next few paragraphs by yourself PiF can be, yes AVEN will probably be going under a revision soon in some form (Which form, I don't know, but many see it coming). However the suspected outcome may not be as strict and fixated on proper asexuals as you would hope. I don't hold the view that asexuality is exclusive to long-term asexuals, but I respect it.

There certainly does need to be some more certainty with our direction however. It's too neutral for my liking. The Cheshire Cat said it the best. “Well that depends on where you want to get to. If you don't know, then it doesn't matter which way you go”.

I guess I'm one of the few that is out and vocal about asexuality. Fingers crossed that there is more physical participation in the future!

As for where Asexuality currently stands, I want to believe this is the 'second wave' of asexuality. Its passed it's original roots with AVEN where your beloved long-term asexuals thrived, but has expanded to include other categories that wouldn't previously belong. We aren't moving far away, more like bridging the divide between the groups. Similar to the LGBT movement as a whole, how many letters are in the alphabet soup now? It's just an expanding horizon on sexuality as a whole in my opinion. Maybe the expansion is drowning out the long-term asexuals, however they're still there. Spend a few minutes in the Musings and Rantings forum and you will find the hard-core double-A asexuals. They are still there, just meshed in the crowd.

I'm going to go with a genius WITH a broken clone visor. The mad genius' are always the best.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:07 am

Phew, good to see you around still

like so much in asexuality..which honestly is a yes or no answer...we have two approaches...if your concern is for the individual then the question could be.....what does asexuality mean to you?...if however your concern is correct and accurate visibility for asexuality then the question would be...this is what asexuality is and does it apply to you?

Generationally we seem to have moved from a "we" to a "me" generation which is why so few see the bigger picture but the bigger picture remains. In an ideal utopic way there would be a combination of both but given how many variants/subsets/subsets of subsets etc are continually springing up... which to be honest bear no relationship to asexuality despite those doing so desperatley trying and kid us they are... we cannot honestly say that we do not understand why those outside of the bubble doubt us?

As to the backroom..totally understand on the "stays in vegas"...I have over the years at some points and continue to do..had/have friendships with some mods/admins...and to date not one has discussed...offered to discuss or been asked to discuss "vegas"...sometimes friendships are more important than any internet forum.

In some ways the chaos that ensues behind the scenes is a reflection of what is happening in that public asexual arena....things are over discussed/remonstrated and over thought to the point very little gets resolved and things just grow beyond their original intent and go down paths that have no relation to the task at hand. Promoting accurate asexuality..we do have only one difference between us and sexuals..by saying that is a half a difference or a two thirds difference etc..they are kidding themselves and do the clarity and integrity of asexuality tremendous damage.

I'm sparticus, no I'm sparticus, well I'm a grey sparticus, well i'm a vegan sparticus, well I doubt sparticus even existed and want a new branch called dorothy.....pretty much sums up the majority of asexuality in it's ever increasing vague public appearance

You say... However the suspected outcome may not be as strict and fixated on proper asexuals as you would hope......there are no such things as proper asexuals..you simply are or are not and the one definition we all use, the scientific community uses and most syke teams use is the one at the top of the header of aven and as such their is no bridging of the divide because if you experience sexual attraction of any kind then your sexual

the only divide is not one at all..if you do not experience sexual attraction your asexual..if you do your sexual..in every other aspect there are no differences between us and sexuals

I will be honest here..the "second wave" has already happened and the backroom are struggling with it as shown by the different requests for another sub forum to be added every month ....much as to the lgbt movement at the moment as a whole and the continual addition of letters in the alphabet soup...you are aware how many in the lgbt are starting to get angry at that? and this is a group that I feel went on original intent...got caught up in the sillyness that comes with it and now ..as I predict with asexuality...will probably split back to a core original group..perhaps as I said asexuality needs this sillyness to see it as sillyness ..a bit like a child being told by a parent don't do that it will hurt...but the child does it anyway...and only after they get hurt do they realise the damage they have done.

Once all the fuss has died down you have a choice between what asexuality is morphing into (the reality show style of the kardashians)...or the real world of what an asexual actually is.. One has what's fashionable and the other has honest integrity.

The irony is some have half opened eyes and choose to claim this as evolution...those with their eyes wide open will see it tearing itself apart and goes back to the earlier comment I made

the bulk of "asexuals" are not asexual but late teens/early adults finding their way through the labyrinth discovery phase..why is this a problem? because they may just by numbers..be shaping asexuality with consequences that very few of them will ever face because they would have been long gone... but long term asexuals will probably end up cleaning the mess up ..if we ever get a second chance for a first impression?

As to bi yearly elections...looking at the burn out rate, people leaving because it is not what it was etc...your pretty much getting elections on a regulary basis anyway so accepting that but having accountability through election should not be ignored because accountability just isn't there. Every time i have suggested this as a way to increase accountability..it's been denied with the "too many elections" but not one offer to increase accountability from anyone in a position that should have that as their key obligation

Also I mentioned how many backroom staff are actually asexual? as I noticed many of the newer ones are not..don't get me wrong..your voted in to moderate a forum and nothing more but imagine you had a african american forum and all your moderators were white? technically they would be as competent as any other... but it is helpful if those moderating you also represent you and it might explain ....the more non asexual mods we are getting..the more the community moves away from the definition that defines us and why they would find it easy to let the definition go as it doesn't apply to them.

as to yourself Steph..I admire your tenacity and enthusiasm.. I offer a term used by those of us who have used aven for many years...don't let the bastards grind you down :lol:
Last edited by PiF on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:05 am

It isn't just 'burn out' that's responsible for high mod turnover; there's also the 'politics' of the back room that drives some out. It's been going on for years - as long as I've been around and I'm not sure how it can be addressed. Still, it's good to know you're going to try - just remember little bites - don't try the whole pie at once :D

When DJ suggested the admods only forum, it was envisaged that only certain 'categories' would be dealt with there (reports being one) but somehow over the years more and more things were discussed there - many of which didn't NEED to be there (and I can't go any further on that)
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Pifs posts were too long and I didn't read them :(

Bullet point version?

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:09 pm

The pretend/short lived "asexuals" are trying to sell out asexuality
Last edited by PiF on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ciri
Mega Member

Postby Ciri » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Ah yes.

Assholes.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:16 pm

For what it's worth, I have info from a reliable source who says that DJ had nothing to do with the establishment of the Admod's Only forum. That agrees with what I remember too, but I wanted to double check it.

It was mostly Cate Perfect's idea, because she was the only admin at the time, but it was discussed and approved by the entire team. I suspect that DJ must have approved it after the fact, but he was already very much an absentee landlord by the time it happened.
It was originally intended to be used very little, and only to protect the privacy of the membership when disciplinary actions were being discussed. Prior to that time, such issues were being discussed via PMs but that was quickly becoming impossible since the membership had begun to grow amazingly fast after the New Scientist article. It was created right around the time that the ABC News show 20/20 was being filmed, in large part because we were dreading (rightly, as it turned out) that the traffic from that was going to be mind-boggling.

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Sorry, I assumed it was his idea as he started the thread. It was before my time as a mod. I was one against declassification (I don't think you were there when I was being so vaocal about it), then I had a long chat with Coles and changed my mind. I remember when the Report Forum was proposed and I said it was a silly knee-jerk reaction to a temporary increase...yeh, how wrong did I want to be???

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:59 am

I read some of the early threads...so niave. I must admit i did chuckle when i saw dj saying he knows he comes in, walks over people then walks out again whilst not spending enough time in the community. Steph I have had a short skype multiperson chat that did involve dj when the ten year review was first muted..i found him definately a resident of san fran with a furure move to l.a. if you get my drift.

Steph you mentioned you thought that nostalgia was stopping from some from making changes...if the definition is one thing and one thing only..what do you think needs to change? and who do you feel is reluctant for change and why they are...bearing in mind not all "changes" are necessary or positive and many see change is needed for no other reason than changes sake?

add on..any one seen the bierdy wierdo lately?

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:57 am

He ignores me so I'll return the 'compliment' :P :D

♥ Steph ♥

Postby ♥ Steph ♥ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:29 am

PiF wrote: Steph you mentioned you thought that nostalgia was stopping from some from making changes...if the definition is one thing and one thing only..what do you think needs to change? and who do you feel is reluctant for change and why they are...bearing in mind not all "changes" are necessary or positive and many see change is needed for no other reason than changes sake?

It is true that not all changes are necessary, nor positive. However stagnation is just as bad. A machine designed in 2008, probably won't match the demands of 2015. Revisions, adjustments and additions should always be occurring. I actually subscribe to the notion of "don't fix what ain't broken", but certainly repair what is perceived to be broken.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:38 am

Your not one of those queue for hours for the latest apple product believing that because the new one is new that the older one that works perfectly well must be rubbish?

I see asexuality I see Rolls Royce...a clear and present world recognised high quality thing that others know what it is......what asexuality seems to be morphing into is a amc pacer.....Don't get me wrong, I'm as retro as a retro man can be but even I accept small tweaks from time to time are needed to maintain the integrity and fine tweeking of asexuality I understand but... performing open heart surgery, ripping out the old and replacing it with a pacemaker when none was never needed appeases only those who like new things and not those who use what works.

Put it another way...man goes into a car dealers...man to salesman, I'd like to buy a car please...salesman to buyer, sure sir here we have a harley dyna glide...buyer to salesman, erm i asked for a car?....Salesman, sir they are all part of the same group, you know wheels, engine, exhausts.....buyer, you do know what the definition of a car is right? ....salesman, we have changed definitions and now you can see it as anything you want to be even though it bears no resemblence.....buyer, stick your sale up your arse, I wanted a car, a real car and your kidding no one.

I do agree on the if it ain't broke, don't fix it too but like Rolls Royce.... quality is timeless.

Nancy you mentioned Cate Perfect....for me this ties in with what I feel dj is not...a leader..a democracy is fine but even they have leaders and it is possible to have a front man/woman but also a seperate leader of the organisation. at some point ..even dj admits he loses purpose and communication skills on a regular basis...so where we have organisational needs we obviously must have a team but that team needs a leader..cate perfect was an excellent example of how things can be channelled better work better when a democracy has a leader

clear message through accurate definition, a team working together and it's members being part of and not overlooked by those who represent them. Another thing...changing asexuality based on a small group whilst the largest group do not feature in anyway is I feel, unwise for long term harmony.

I've always believed in quality over quantity(despite me posting so much shit)......so..you have two men to have sex with, one has a healthy size penis and offers a quality shag that you will always remember for it's quality and long lasting experience....and the other has a larger numbered penis, will last two minutes and you will remember him for all the wrong reasons...the former is where asexuality needs to be and the latter is where it is going or we will all be screwed.

Although there are very few asexuals forums from which to see where asexuality should go...I go back to an earlier comment though are we real or just an internet movement? if we are real then the mouthpieces cannot assume the internet is not the only place you find asexuals, some asexuals may not even use the internet..i know that horrifies da yoof but yes..some peoples life doesn't evolve around a screen

So, any changes made will be difficult to say they are representative as they are nothing more than a small pro lgbt group within the largest asexual forum shouting the loudest. I was going to ask arca as to the current list of actual still existing asexual forums but I can't find her? but like the flag..that change happened by contacting all the asexual forums and said hey..what do you think.