Happy Saint Georges Day Huzzahhh

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
PiF
Apositive Star

Happy Saint Georges Day Huzzahhh

Postby PiF » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:54 am

Happy Saint Georges Day :clap: :dance: :clap:

Yes even to you who used to be part of U.K. plc :lol:

cdrdash

Re: Happy Saint Georges Day Huzzahhh

Postby cdrdash » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:08 pm

Had to google Saint Georges day. So ... happy belated England's national day. How do people in England celebrate Saint Georges day?
cdrdash = Cathy Denshaw Roberts nicknamed DASHy

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Hiya Cathy

In the old days there may have been street parties and then as time went on it tended to be social events with friends normally in pubs..as we become more multicutural, some are afraid to be patriotic in case they are called racist so events as such have largely declined.

The irony for the English is that Saint George was actually born in what is now called Turkey to wealthy Turkish Christian parents. The English link is George and the dragon but mostly the Chritian heritage ..here is more information.... http://www.royalsocietyofstgeorge.com/h ... george.htm

Tanwen
Mega Member

Postby Tanwen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:49 am

And we aren't even allowed to fly the flag :( Apparently celebrating 'Englishness' might upset everyone else :(
You lose nothing when fighting for a cause ... In my mind the losers are those who don't have a cause they care about. - Muhammad Ali

cdrdash

Postby cdrdash » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:49 am

Not allowed to fly a flag on national England day. That's odd. The USA is a bit flag crazy on the 4th of July. Here its OK to celebrate being independent of England.

When I lived in England from September 1972 to August 1973 (I was 11-12 years old) , I don't remember celebrating Saint Georges day and I was all about celebrating these odd English holidays we didn't have in the states like Guy Fawkes day.
cdrdash = Cathy Denshaw Roberts nicknamed DASHy