Is the term POC racist?

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
PiF
Apositive Star

Is the term POC racist?

Postby PiF » Wed May 25, 2016 6:04 am

It seems to be more used in the U.S. thankfully than the U.K. and for those who do not know, the initials stand for Person of Colour.

My feeling is that it is racist, or...it is used by idiots in a way that makes racist

My reasoning why...unlike many of those who use this term, I have travelled beyond my keyboard. I have worked and travelled in/to places where seeing a white person is like a lottery win, a very rare thing.

Two points if I may, I would not go to a country such as the Sudan, Bangladesh, Burma and start saying "hey, I am white, I am a minority, you need to accomodate me or I will start shouting you are racists" or "you use black, brown, yellow privilige", one it's stupid and you sound like a child, two it would be incorrect and three, well it would be just simply rude

The second issue I have with POC is that those who use it, do not see white as a colour, they simply refuse too. So if someone refuses to recognise colour, are they racist ?

The way round this is to be honest and say "I am racist because I refuse to accept white is a colour"...or...simply just stop using a stupid word that enables division by colour rather than cohesion.

KAGU143
Administrator

Re: Is the term POC racist?

Postby KAGU143 » Thu May 26, 2016 5:51 am

Maybe it would be better to start using another term, PWC, to refer to white people, and to just refer to everybody else as people.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Thu May 26, 2016 6:32 am

KAGU143 wrote:Maybe just refer to everybody else as people.

I edited that to show where I think you hit the head on the nail Nancy :D

Both you and I are old enough where we fought to remove labels and see people as people. My freinds weren't my black friends or my asian friends or my chinese friends ....they were my freinds at school

I do remember and I have bored people with this before, when I was in infant school it was unusal to see coloured people because of where I lived and this was in the late 60's, come the 70's and sure more different people started to live where I lived.

Then in senior school (age 11-16) they were our friends who happened to be northern, asian etc etc and when the national front started using protests trying to influence the young, in many schools in our area we told them quite politely to "f*ck off"

This wasn't "the white man with privilige".. I was 13 ffs and came from a poor family and all of us.... of ALL.... colours, stood to refuse racism in our schools, we didn't need a particular colour or label to know it was wrong. As friends we simply said NO

Now, apparently people are smarter, they use smart phones, more people than ever are going to college and uni .....and yet it is almost as though we have gone full circle to the 50's and 60's, where some still use terms of colour to divide us but now it's for no other reason to receive "likes" on our social media feeds as to make them feel personally good about themselves being an "activist"

Terms like POC are the politics of stupid racist people who need to keep us divided for their own agenders...as you rightly say Nancy...maybe we should just refer to people simply as...." people"

CatBunny
Established Member

Postby CatBunny » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:55 am

It was racist now it's not I guess? The term colored people is racist, put poc isn't? It's so goddam confusing. I feel I cringe everytime I have to use it in a sentence because it's such an outdated term.
Isn't ethnic minorities/racial minorities better? I mean as a half jew I feel absolutely excluded by modern pc movement because we're basically white people and they don't consider whites a real oppressed group. It's like what are we? You're white but a minority. I remember coming across someone on reddit calling us Schrödinger's Jew because it's like we're in some purgatory according to modern politics. If your skin ain't brown, you ain't oppressed.

Thrasymachus
Established Member

Postby Thrasymachus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Excuse me, you are British person from one of the biggest imperialist, thieving powers on the planet and you are actually trying to argue that non-whites are the racists and moral transgressors?

Lord Grep

Postby Lord Grep » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 am

"Excuse me, you are British person from one of the biggest imperialist, thieving powers on the planet and you are actually trying to argue that non-whites are the racists and moral transgressors?"

OH crap, am I going to get in to trouble on post number two?

Does it matter where someone is from as to the validity of their argument?

I don't know if you know this, but ALL british people are, or where not involved in any "imperialism" . I mean the british empire died out almost completely after ww2.

That means the means there are few people alive who even remember a british empire let alone had anything to do with it's running.

Wow... I'll check my "british" privilege..

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:43 am

Lord Grep wrote:
OH crap, am I going to get in to trouble on post number two?

No worries. :)
You would have to do something pretty horrific to get in trouble here at Apositive.
Worst case - I will edit posts that cross the line and then PM the member to explain what I did and why. I ban spammers, not members.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.