Who are you?

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
Placebo
Established Member

Re: Who are you?

Postby Placebo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:53 pm

I'm Placebo on AVEN and here because I'm uncreative and I figured it was handy to be recognizable. I'm a grad student in the sciences currently living in the great lakes/midwest. . . and exploring a new demi-sexual relationship with a friend . .. boyfriend? I hate words like that, they're so limiting. I've been on AVEN for around a year and sort of classify as an aromantic asexual, but definitions are always vague, aren't they?
"Now it's right for me to be me."

Phil Halvorsen, from "The [Widget], the [Wadget], and Boff" (Theodore Sturgeon)

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:59 pm

I changed my name quite often on AVEN (usually Xenius13 but most recently Prokopton)...but you can just call me Jeremy.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Dargon from AVEN here. Name should make it obvious, it's a moniker I tend to use unabashedly.

So a friend of mine heard from a friend of hers on LiveJournal that there was this new forum for asexuals where a main point was "we gonna talk about sex." I decided to check it out, especially since (I'm going to be rude here) the people from AVEN who couldn't help but mention how gross or evil sex was any time it was so much as mentioned in threads they obviously had no buisness in to begin with won't be here.

Anyhow, since the very primise of the site will pretty much drive off 85% of the people from AVEN that made visiting a chore, I'm going to give this place a try.

Karl
Administrator

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Dargon wrote:So a friend of mine heard from a friend of hers on LiveJournal that there was this new forum for asexuals where a main point was "we gonna talk about sex."

Wow. The word's getting around, huh? ;)

Kelly

Postby Kelly » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:00 pm

Yay, Shockwave! Welcome! Image

Mr. Paradox

Postby Mr. Paradox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:41 am

Hi Jeremy!

Hi Dargon!

This is gonna be awesome.
"He cannot, however, long remain asexual when he sees the great peasant girls, as ardent as mares in heat, abandoning themselves to the arms of robust youths."
--Havelock Ellis, Studies in the Psychology of Sex

xaida

Postby xaida » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:01 am

Im xaida here and on AVEN, but mainly only posted on the German AVENde, which I started a loooong time ago. Since I feel things there have become way tenser than on AVEN, Im glad to come here and get some fresh inspiration on my fresh life-style :)
Dont get me wrong, I owe AVEN that I started to grow in my asexuality and intimacy matters. But I also feel like exchanging the new experiences Im making because of it :)

Dame du Lac

Postby Dame du Lac » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Well, I'm Dame du Lac on AVEN (you'd never have guessed would you? ;) ). I think its going to be easier to discuss some things here, like the concept of sexuality in itself, and where the borders lie between behavior and orientation etc, than on AVEN, because as Dargon says, the people who make that difficult probably won't join here.

I'll still be posting on AVEN though.

School Of Fish

Postby School Of Fish » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:04 pm

I was on the AVEN board for a few months waaaaaaaay back when.
I was School Of Fish there. I am here as well.

I am a close friend of Deladangerous and I'm visiting with Spin.

I am an Ase... buuuuuut I am a huge political activist first, (I took the last year off to work on a presidential campaign) and sexuality/asexuality isn't really a big concern of mine, but Dela's friends are mostly on here, and Spin keeps poking me in the side with a pointy stick.

spin

Postby spin » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:07 pm

I am not poking you in the side! dela is poking you in the side! I am just verbally badgering you. Big difference.

ghosts

Postby ghosts » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:06 am

Hello School Of Fish! I met you in New York. :)

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:47 am

I met you in New York as well, School Of Fish. I'm the short guy who knows ASL.

jaybird721

Postby jaybird721 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:06 pm

Well, I suppose I'm the same person I always was, on AVEN or otherwise. I'll probably be more of a lurker hereabouts, although I'll definitely chip in if I have opinions about something.

EGAD!

Postby EGAD! » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:44 pm

I was wondering if there was a thread for introductions.

Well I'm EGAD! same username on AVEN formerly fem_1027.

Shockwave! **dies** nice signature by the way. I don't know why, but thinking of Transformers makes me very giddy.

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:06 pm

I was quite a collector back in the G1* days, or as much of a collector as a 13-year-old boy with a meager allowance could be. Shockwave was one of my favorites but he was one of the few I never did have. I think the most I ever had at one time was 35, but that was almost all of them back them.

*Back before there was more than one generation.

Bunnyk.

Postby Bunnyk. » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:32 pm

I am Bunny Killer, slayer of dastardly level 1 and 2 Bunnies!

(I picked the name in an online game called Asheron's Call after repeatedly hearing "God, woman, you're such a noob you can't even kill a rabbit!" I don't really like to kill rabbits.)

I'll be lurking here, we'll see if I get off my lazy butt to post too. ;)

Mr. Paradox

Postby Mr. Paradox » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:36 pm

Oh joy! In case you haven't heard it enough on AVEN, you're kind of really awesome.
"He cannot, however, long remain asexual when he sees the great peasant girls, as ardent as mares in heat, abandoning themselves to the arms of robust youths."
--Havelock Ellis, Studies in the Psychology of Sex

stainedandroid

Postby stainedandroid » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Dargon wrote:The people from AVEN who couldn't help but mention how gross or evil sex was any time it was so much as mentioned in threads they obviously had no buisness in to begin with won't be here.

I tend to agree with you, Dargon. AVEN has done good things for visibility, but has become fairly juvenile.

I am stainedandroid on AVEN!

I am a movie buff and a science fiction fan! I currently live in southwestern Michigan. I attend community college, and am a 21-year old freshman with no direction in life. Woot.
I'm going from strange to stranger
Every year

jaybird721

Postby jaybird721 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:35 am

Mr. Paradox wrote:Oh joy! In case you haven't heard it enough on AVEN, you're kind of really awesome.

Seconded. It's good to have you here, Bunnyk.

Bunnyk.

Postby Bunnyk. » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:40 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! <3

J. J. O'Molloy

Postby J. J. O'Molloy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Hello!

I'm a graduate student at a large public university in the Midwest which is a lot less exciting than the large public university in the Bay Area I used to attend. [And the rest of this was posted in the wrong thread.]

wintermute
Established Member

Postby wintermute » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:59 am

Hi

Rarely post on, or even read AVEN any more, due to many reasons, not least of all it seems to be going in a direction I don't like. For that reason I'll not put my AVEN registered name here just at the moment although no doubt it will be reasonably obvious to some people.
Cicero wrote:"Neither can embellishments of language be found without arrangement and expression of thoughts, nor can thoughts be made to shine without the light of language"

cyan

Postby cyan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:36 pm

I am also cyan on AVEN (and in most of the rest of the interweb ...)

Found a link to this site in someone's sig on AVEN and figured I'd give it a look ... I'm really excited about the conversations I've seen going on here, and look forward to (hopefully) contributing to it some, too. While I'm repulsed-A as applies to myself, I find sexuality and sexual interactions and social constructions of sexuality to be quite intellectually fascinating subjects. :)

inanechild

Postby inanechild » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:45 pm

Hello, my name is Tressa. I am a 20 year-old political science student from Ontario. I once posted on AVEN 4-5 years ago, when I was *very* young and thought I was asexual. As it turns out, I was just a lesbian but wasn't quite ready to admit it. (In retrospect, I have no idea why I could not comprehend how wildly gay I was, but I guess that's youth!) I'm joining this site out of recommendation from my adorable friend Doredy, who knows that I love to explore sexuality and its intersections with politics, philosophy, etc. Yes, nothing will make you want to deconstruct things faster than a liberal arts education.

Shockwave

Postby Shockwave » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Tressa?! I've been wondering how you were doing.

spin

Postby spin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:34 am

ooh, welcome!

inanechild

Postby inanechild » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Shockwave wrote:Tressa?! I've been wondering how you were doing.

Hey Jeremy :) Let's see...in the past half-decade I have graduated high school (that part was quality!), left the bland surburbs to go to university, and am now a second-year student enrolled at the University of Guelph, which is often dubbed "the University of Warwick of Canada" for its wild radicalism. :P I remember I was sitting in on a queer campus club meeting in first year when the facilitator started discussing the phenomenon of asexuality, and how the queer community can best accomodate asexuals and make them feel comfortable, and I thought "Oh those crazy kids...how far they've come in their visibility since I was a high school sophomore!"

Anyway, I'm glad y'all have a sex-positive board to discuss in now, lest the main board become another 4-Chan-esque den of those unable to deal with human anatomy. ;)

moxie_ramone

Postby moxie_ramone » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:14 pm

HI EVERYBODY!

Some of you called me "spinfriend" when you met me in late December :-) I am Spin's friend from Boston, and she twisted my little arm to join this bunch. Sure, I'm a sexual, a "straight" vanilla sexual, blah blah details details.

I love me some heavy duty social analysis whenever possible, and I am fascinated by all the incarnations of human sexuality. I really hate the word "straight" because it makes it seem like that's the only normal way to be, which is terribly unfair. I feel better under the queer umbrella. I place great value on someone's personal life experience when trying to make sense of the world and the human culture we deal with every day. I majored in communications and theatre at UMass Amherst, which means I am wired to puzzle over people and what makes them tick. I suspect I'm in good company in this neck o' the woods.

moxie_ramone

Postby moxie_ramone » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:15 pm

inanechild wrote:Yes, nothing will make you want to deconstruct things faster than a liberal arts education.

Oh. So. True!

EGD

Postby EGD » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:02 am

I'm Edward Gorey's Daughter over on Aven and the A-sylum. I thought I'd just shorten it.
So yeah this is me and not EGAD. (laughs)