Is global warming real..or a job scheme for scientists

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
disjointed

Is global warming real..or a job scheme for scientists

Postby disjointed » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 pm

It would seem ..not for the first time..the scientific proof around global warming..may just be guess work and not fact

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100120/ts ... 1ccfa.html

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: Is global warming real..or a job scheme for scientists

Postby Dargon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Satellite photos I have seen show significant melting. Many charts I have seen of average global temperature show a steady rise.

However, information I have seen shows strong correlation between global temperature and solar cycle. I've seen strong correlation between temperature and natural CO2 levels (which make up anywhere from 70-97% of the CO2 level).

Is the average global temperature going up? Probably. Is there a human element? Maybe. I truly doubt it is as simple as Al Gore likes to make it seem, that the sole reason is the CO2 humans are pumping into the air.

Roy

Postby Roy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 pm

Basically, the earth is getting hotter, we just don't know why. I hope that people take a lesson from this pseudo-science fiasco and learn to differentiate between theories and fact.

ily

Postby ily » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:51 pm

The article you posted is about specific Himalayan glaciers though, not global warming in general.

disjointed

Postby disjointed » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:10 am

Well yes and No ily

for quite sometime many many people..like Al gore have used these and other now in doubt "facts"as truth, and have had quite some employment created through the fear of what i feel is a natural event

pushing these "facts" in doubters faces as though they are the definitive word..after all scientists couldn't be wrong..could they

these himalayan innacurracies along with those out of england only a few months ago are starting to show that much of the hysteria was not indeed based on facts and those that set themselves up as the definitives were in fact..wrong

for me..yes the planet is warming or at least going through a cycle of unusual weather patterns causing consequences and what ever they are I do feel that man is speeding it up

however i do not feel that man is causing the complete reaction..if we were not here at all I feel it would still climate change..just slower

The planet..like us I feel has it's own life span..and this is just one of it's cycles

Noskcaj.Llahsram

Postby Noskcaj.Llahsram » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Dargon wrote:Satellite photos I have seen show significant melting. Many charts I have seen of average global temperature show a steady rise.

However, information I have seen shows strong correlation between global temperature and solar cycle. I've seen strong correlation between temperature and natural CO2 levels (which make up anywhere from 70-97% of the CO2 level).

Is the average global temperature going up? Probably. Is there a human element? Maybe. I truly doubt it is as simple as Al Gore likes to make it seem, that the sole reason is the CO2 humans are pumping into the air.

I kinda agree, are we doing something, probably. Is it CO2, probably not, the atmosphere is huge and we don't produce enough CO2 to really change whats already there; of course I'm terrified of some highly reactive chemicals getting out into the upper atmosphere. On the other hand, there is a lot less surface area on Earth, and Asphalt gets hot.
Summation, I think "Its not what we're smoking up, it's what we're laying down"
What is love? Well, you know that feeling you get when you've been locked in a tiny dark space alone for a year? It's kind of the opposite of that.

sundscole12

Postby sundscole12 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 am

I believe it's a true condition of our environment right now.
I, myself, have experienced the weather changes that's going on in our area.
We really have to take initiatives for this.

sunnytoh

Postby sunnytoh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:51 am

Most scientists recognize that global warming does seem to be happening, but a few don't believe that it is anything to be worried about. These scientists say that the Earth is more resistant to climate changes on this scale than we think. Plants and animals will adapt to subtle shifts in weather patterns, and it is unlikely anything catastrophic will happen as a result of global warming. Slightly longer growing seasons, changes in precipitation levels and stronger weather, in their opinion, are not generally disastrous. They also argue that the economic damage caused by cutting down on the emission of greenhouse gases will be far more damaging to humans than any of the effects of global warming.