Tap. Tap.Tap. Is this thing working? Let's have some FUN!

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
KAGU143
Administrator

Tap. Tap.Tap. Is this thing working? Let's have some FUN!

Postby KAGU143 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Much as I gripe and complain about the insanity over at AVEN, especially in the Just for Fun forum, I think that brand of silliness has helped to create the community.
So ... what can we do to liven THIS place up? A little bit. (Not TOO much, cuz we folks couldn't afford the bandwidth, but something more animated than comatose would be good.)

Knock-knock jokes? (PLEASE say no! LOL!)
Limericks?
Haikus?
How about some old standbys, like "What are you thinking?"

How about, "You know you are asexual when ..."

How about the top 10 list of things that people usually say when someone they know comes out as asexual?

Ideas are welcome.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

ily

Re: Tap. Tap.Tap. Is this thing working? Let's have some FUN!

Postby ily » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:43 pm

I do like haiku.
Silliness is a great thing.
Cherry blossoms fall.

My haiku was whack.
Looking forward to ideas
That people bring up.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

I think having some sort of just for fun / off topic sort of thing is a good idea. When the topic is as focused as it is here, and the population as small, everyone says their two cents, and very shortly thereafter all has been said and everyone is out of things to talk about, then people stop checking, and the population dwindles. Something fun and silly will keep people active, so there are people still here to talk when something on topic shows up.

Back in my AVEN days, the "What are you thinking?" thread was an favorite of mine. It would not surprise me if the majority of my posts are in that thread. Other fourms I am active at have off topic threads such as video games, movies, food, etc. These are fun threads that keep people active, so people are around to respond quickly and abundantly when things pop up in the serious threads.

There's also news and politics threads, however I am leery of those. Interesting as philosophy, politics, and religion are to talk about, they often lead to people getting pissed off, and over time often lead to the board becoming very heavysided, with people of other viewpoints being driven off.

If we were to do one of these, I would recommend placing it in a separate board. This would allow anyone here solely for the serious stuff to be able to avoid the silly if they wanted to, and vise versa.

No letter e allowed threads were fun too.

Jicragg
Established Member

Postby Jicragg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 pm

A couple of fun threads that are popular on another forum I visit are: a mindfulness one/how are you feeling, a daily trivia quiz (you make a group, everybody makes an account and you play for points), 'I really like...' and 'one day I want to...'.
That forum is littered with overly positive people. It's fairly small as well - less people than Apositive but they all post more.