General Culture Stuff

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
Jicragg
Established Member

General Culture Stuff

Postby Jicragg » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Really I just wanted to open up a thread asking for documentaries to watch. I'm in a crazy documentary mood so titles, give me, now.

I figured it'd be better to open this up to culture in general. Culture is big so mix up rap with classical philosophy. Open up TvTropes, click random and go. Could always start on the asexuality page. :P

And in return I give you an awesome online comic about Soviet Russian tigers and bears. http://www.bearandtiger.com/?p=63

ily

Re: General Culture Stuff

Postby ily » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 pm

Well, if you haven't seen it, this is like the ultimate documentary: The "Up" Series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_series)

Other favorites of mine:
-American Movie
-Autism: The Musical
-The Celluloid Closet
-Anvil: The Story of Anvil
-The Fight (not a boxing fan, but still found it fascinating)

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting...

fridayoak

Re: General Culture Stuff

Postby fridayoak » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Check out all the Nick Broomfield documentaries on Ch4 (I guess they're all up on 4od or youtube). There's the Aileen Wuornos serial killer woman ones, the cribs and the bloods, the kurt kobain death, and I think he did one about the Chinese cockle pickers too though that might be someone else plus maybe some others that he did.

A good documentary film is Capturing the Friedmans, about a case where this respectable Dad teacher and one of his adult sons get arested on child sex charges. The family film their whole home life around the trial on camcorder so it's really fascinating to watch how strange they all are. Plus after a while it becomes clear that the Police's "evidence" is very unrelibale to say least and when you watch it all unfold it's kind of amazing.

I quite liked the "child genius" ones that have been on and off Ch4 recently too.

And there's always those Channel 5 "extraordinary people" series.