just wondering

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
michaels

just wondering

Postby michaels » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:11 am

Does anyone bother to log on here? The last post before this one was four days ago.

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: just wondering

Postby Dargon » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:40 pm

I still log in daily. I post when something interests me, though sometimes I do not have time to post when something interests me. Been working 50 hour weeks of late (plus I have a one hour commute on top of that, but hey, I like my job and that's more money).

michaels

Postby michaels » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:13 am

Fifty hours is a short workweek for some people, so in a way you're lucky, especially if you're paid by the hour rather than on salary. Enjoy the OT pay while it lasts. :) And of course, don't spend it all in one place. :)

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:34 am

I check in daily but I haven't done a lot of posting recently.
Real life has been keeping me very busy so I have rationed my online time pretty tightly. Most of it is currently being dedicated to my primary job-related site. (taxidermy.net)

Kæth and I were laughing the other day, though, and speculating about how much the activity on this site might increase if we were to start a thread called "AVEN's dirty laundry"
Between us we know a lot about many of the odd things that happened behind the scenes over there.
(Don't get your hopes up too much. Neither of us thinks that it would be a good idea and we aren't planning on doing it - we just think that it would get us a lot of traffic if we did.)
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

michaels

Postby michaels » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:52 pm

I can guess that AVEN, a site masquerading as being for asexuals but really devoted to feminist, gay, lesbian and transgendered issues, and dominated by people suffering from Activism Disease, would have a LOT of dirty laundry. I'd better never have a chance to pick your brain about said dirty laundry or AVEN would be permanently discredited and probably have to shut down.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Back when I worked in the In-Circuit Test business, 60 hour weeks were the norm. Mind you, I also only had a 15 minute commute, so that made it about the same.

And while it's very old laundry, I have a bit from my time as a mod. Mind you, Greybird would have all of it too, since her reign extends through and beyond my own.

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:52 pm

michaels wrote:I can guess that AVEN, a site masquerading as being for asexuals but really devoted to feminist, gay, lesbian and transgendered issues, and dominated by people suffering from Activism Disease, would have a LOT of dirty laundry.

Not forgetting the coddling therapy for the tragically weak.

michaels

Postby michaels » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:11 am

Dargon wrote:Back when I worked in the In-Circuit Test business, 60 hour weeks were the norm. Mind you, I also only had a 15 minute commute, so that made it about the same.

I can only hope you were paid by the hour rather than on salary. My last job was piecework, which is really the most equitable way to get paid provided that the flow of assignments (and premium-rate assignments) remains steady instead of going through periodic slowdowns.

michaels

Postby michaels » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:16 am

Roy wrote:Not forgetting the coddling therapy for the tragically weak.

Activists are predators in much the same way as clergy are predators. They love to see weakness because they can co-opt the weak person and make that person a footsoldier battling on behalf of their cause. In exchange, the weak person gets social welcome and acceptance for perhaps the first time in their life--and becomes the biggest fanatic imaginable. I've seen it a million times in both activist circles and churches.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:28 pm

michaels wrote:
Dargon wrote:Back when I worked in the In-Circuit Test business, 60 hour weeks were the norm. Mind you, I also only had a 15 minute commute, so that made it about the same.

I can only hope you were paid by the hour rather than on salary. My last job was piecework, which is really the most equitable way to get paid provided that the flow of assignments (and premium-rate assignments) remains steady instead of going through periodic slowdowns.

Nope, I was salary then. It was a pretty good salary for someone who had no degree, but none the less the company got about 20 free hours a week.

I've done by the job as well, and provided work is steady, I must agree that is perhaps the best way to go. Keeps people motivated to actually work hard, finish the job in a timely manner and not waste time.

michaels

Postby michaels » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:18 am

Dargon wrote:I've done by the job as well, and provided work is steady, I must agree that is perhaps the best way to go. Keeps people motivated to actually work hard, finish the job in a timely manner and not waste time.

At my job nobody wasted a single second they didn't have to, although I sometimes wasted time smoking. There were also occasions when I'd already stayed until about 10 pm in order to finish a premium rate job, and the person waiting for my work product had long ago left and wouldn't be back until next morning. In those situations I didn't particularly care if I stayed for another couple of hours just to make sure things were done right--and to take a few extra smoke breaks.

There was one time I went home at 5 pm and lay down for a nap. At 6:30 pm I got a phone call asking me if I wanted to come in late for a premium rate job. I arrived at the office at 10 pm and had to wait until about midnight for the person ahead of me to finish their end of things. Then I worked from midnight until about 6:30 am. Since I knew I would be there most of the night, I didn't exactly bust my butt to finish early. But once I was finished, I phoned the owner and told him I was going home to sleep and coming back the next day. He didn't have a problem with that. Later I found out that the overnight job provoked a management meeting and it was decided that the company would decline all such jobs in the future. Nobody except me could be counted on to be available for them, and the bosses didn't want to be beholden to one staff member.

I sweated blood for that company for nearly a decade. The first second I had the least bit of difficulty, they discarded me like a piece of used toilet paper. Now it's been five years since I last worked and it looks like I'll never have a chance to work again. Life sucks, and then you die.

Belle

Postby Belle » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:49 am

To the original post:

I'm logging in regularly, but I've spent the last two weeks marking uni major assignments and exams. Until yesterday, Me, the linguist, couldn't put two words together. Literally. Other than that I've been public speaking (interesting given what I just said!) and reading about Arabic Syntax.

I need a week to sleep :) Back soon! Now on Australian between-semesters uni staycation... Where the only view I have travelled to see is to my bed to see the back of my eyelids... :)