heatwave

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
michaels

heatwave

Postby michaels » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:50 pm

The daily highs have exceeded 90 degrees for three days now, and they're expected to hover around there or climb higher for the next two weeks. We also aren't going to be getting any rain until August.

Some people are probably laughing because 90 degrees is the temperature inside their refrigerators during the summer, but by Toronto standards this is definitely a heatwave.

In the past the city government has responded to this kind of thing by opening cooling centres, which are large air-conditioned rooms where people can get out of the heat for a short while and drink some chilled bottled water. This time around, however, I haven't heard anything about that.

Dargon
Mega Member

Re: heatwave

Postby Dargon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:26 pm

I suppose I'm one of those that is laughing. I just completed a (low speed in a parking lot) motorcycle course in full gear out in the (relatively cool) high 90s in direct sunlight and couldn't complain about the weather. Not to mention my A/C is set at 85. These lower temperatures been nice, considering the past several weeks before it has been sitting with highs around 105 and lows around 85. This 95ish/75ish thing has been rather refreshing. (supposed to be getting back into the 100s this weekend)

The cooling centers and the like are rather interesting. To my knowledge, despite the fact that temperatures in the 110s are not uncommon (especially in the DFW area, Huntsville tends to be about 5-10 degrees cooler in the summer), nothing like that had been done around these parts. All that ever happens is old folks die of heat exhaustion because they don't want to run the A/C (or they don't have one). That and drought.

Speaking of drought, if it would just rain so the state would stop being one huge tinderbox, that'd be awesome.

(Aside: come the winter you'll be the one laughing when I'm bitching about the highs in the lower 50s).

michaels

Postby michaels » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:44 am

Yes, Dargon, we're having wildfire problems as well. The north end of this province is largely uninhabited forest, and lightning strikes have caused a number of forest fires over the last few days. The problem is so bad that they're importing forest firefighters from other provinces to help out.

In Toronto, old people sometimes die from heat prostration as well, but the most deaths happen among the homeless population, who have nowhere to go in order to cool off.

Highs in the lower 50s are fall and spring weather around here. The only thing I enjoy about winter is hockey season. Otherwise, I'd rather be a snowbird and fly south during the cold months.

Oh, and I hope you passed your motorcycle course.

wyrdchick

Postby wyrdchick » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 am

We're having record lows for July right now, barely getting out of the eighties at all. Hopefully some of our cold air will reach you soon.

michaels

Postby michaels » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 am

wyrdchick wrote:We're having record lows for July right now, barely getting out of the eighties at all. Hopefully some of our cold air will reach you soon.

I'm definitely hoping for that myself. In the mid-80s sounds like the ideal temperature to me.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Around here it is not uncommon for the homeless to hang around grocery stores or libraries and the like, to get into the cool for awhile.

Much of Texas has caught fire and burned down, thankfully nothing too close to me. Many of the fires took quite a bit to get under control, and it was always disheartening to hear reports where they said "the fire is about 2% contained at this time."

And I did pass my course and got my motorcycle license, thanks for the wellwishes.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:32 pm

It has been abnormally cool and damp here all spring and summer. Today it finally quit drizzling and got fairly warm. I am guessing mid to upper 70s, although I haven't checked it.
(I hate to even mention our weather because it makes me feel bad for everyybody else.)
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

michaels

Postby michaels » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Tomorrow's high will approach 110 degrees. There's a baseball game at 12:30 pm in a dome with a retractable roof, and they're going to keep the roof closed despite the sunny weather so that the people attending the game don't bake to death.

Isaac
Established Member

Postby Isaac » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:55 am

What kind of hellishly hot place do you live? Any temperature above 37 degrees is unbearable because that means that the environment is hotter than the body. Moreover, water boils in the nineties, the boiling point depending on the height. I can't believe that your rivers and lakes are boiling.

KAGU143
Administrator

Postby KAGU143 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:37 am

LOL! (You're joking, right, Isaac? You would surely know that there are a few places left on earth that still use the Farenheit scale, where water boils at 212 degrees?)

110 is still hellishly hot, though. According to my scale, which shows both types of degrees, it would equal about 44 degrees celsius.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

michaels

Postby michaels » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Isaac, I was using Fahrenheit out of courtesy to the Americans who post on Apositive. :)

Today hasn't been as bad as predicted. Our high reached only 39 degrees Celsius.

tysephine

Postby tysephine » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:54 pm

I totally understant where you guys are coming from. It's been hot and muggy for ages now, but at least we're starting to see some rain come in. We're still low for the year, but I think one good hurricane would take care of that. Never thought I'd see the day that I wished for a hurricane, but apparently it's here. Takes care of two problems at once--cool us down and raise the water table.
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." -Douglas Adams

michaels

Postby michaels » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:09 am

We had thunderstorms both on Saturday evening and early on Monday morning. Today's high will be a much more reasonable 79 degrees F. The heatwave seems to have broken. Sending good wishes to those of you who are still in the middle of it.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Highs expected to break 100F every day this week and well into next. This morning was nice and cool (upper 80s) and overcast, got as much done outside as I could before my cloud cover went away.