MMPORGs

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
michaels

MMPORGs

Postby michaels » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:02 am

It's a funny thing for a guy my age to do, but I've discovered World of Warcraft. If anyone else here plays it, let me know so we can perhaps play together--but keep in mind that I'm very inexperienced at video games released after about 1996.

wyrdchick

Re: MMPORGs

Postby wyrdchick » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:34 pm

I play a lot of games but not that one, I don't like playing with others. Not unless I can see them, trash talking really loses a lot when you can't watch your friend's face twitch while you chant "Gonna cry? Gonna cry like a baby? Look baby's gonna cry." etc.

Not that I'd ever actually do that to a friend of mine, more than once anyway.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:03 pm

I've played a number of MMOs. Played WoW for awhile, mostly to hang out with friends by proxy, since I was 200 miles away. I quit when our schedules prevented us from playing together, since the game itself, in my opinion, is pretty boring.

I spent awhile pirating in Eve, that was fun. At least until pirating got boring. When the hunting was good, it was a blast. When the hunting sucked, it really sucked. Unfortunately, the latter was more common than the former.

The most fun I had was Everquest II. I quit that one due to finances. It's got a better RP world and actually playing a character is much more complicated than something like WoW. I'd consider playing EQII again, but I don't have the time to get my money's worth.

michaels

Postby michaels » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:22 pm

I downloaded EQII, which was a horrid 12.5 gig and took several hours even at my relatively high, uncapped bandwidth. I have yet to dare to create a character because I don't know how many characters I'm permitted to create. I downloaded the manual and plan to read it some time. If I enjoy it I'll let you know.

A friend gave me the link to a Youtube video of Starcraft II, but I didn't think I would enjoy playing it. I like those strategy-oriented command-an-army games only if they're turn-based, and Starcraft II is real-time.

Meanwhile, I found a playing buddy on WoW and am enjoying it greatly. Not sure what you find boring about it. They revamped it completely over the last two or three years and it's very rich and interesting now. My only issue is that I can't play a human character because the human lands have too many toons in them all the time and I get horrible lag. Right now I'm playing pretty much only gnomes and dwarves with one Drainei priestess for kicks and one undead warrior (named Expeeriment) as, yes, an experiment. For an old hand at paper and pencil D&D an undead player character is very eye-opening.

michaels

Postby michaels » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:25 pm

wyrdchick wrote:I play a lot of games but not that one, I don't like playing with others. Not unless I can see them, trash talking really loses a lot when you can't watch your friend's face twitch while you chant "Gonna cry? Gonna cry like a baby? Look baby's gonna cry." etc.

Not that I'd ever actually do that to a friend of mine, more than once anyway.

WoW actually lets you choose whether you want to be on a roleplaying server or not. Socialization is strictly optional. The only downside is that, unless you buy all the disks, the online game download is a horrifying 18.5 gigs in total, and requires a completely legit WoW folder registry hack to complete the last 4.5 gigs.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Truth be told, I found that each and every gameplay update to WoW made it worse. I prefer the days wherein druids and mages wore different armors because this piece affected arcane magic and that piece affected nature magic rather than both affecting spellpower. The one that pissed me off the most was when they made all lower level spells cost the same as the highest level. Nowadays a resto shaman simply goes chain heal, chain heal, chain heal, chain heal....While in the past the same character would have about three different levels of chain heal hotbared to use depending on the situation. If Blizzard started up a server that implimented WoW as it was just before Burning Crusade came out, I'd consider restarting my subscription.

I think this is one of the reasons I prefer EQII. In WoW playing a character well often involves the right casting pattern on three different spells. In EQII, playing well involves proper situational use of about seven different hotbars. As for character limits, I am not sure if there is one. I had three back when I played (a Warden, a Guardian, and a Brigand), I rather enjoyed them all.

Starcraft falls in the RTS (Real Time Strategy) genre rather than the MMO genre (it does not qualify as the latter as I believe the maximum players in a game is around eight). I used to enjoy those in my younger days (played a good bit of Starcraft I), however I cannot get much into them now. I can enjoy a single player campaign, as many of them allow you to pause, issue orders while paused, then resume, making it psuedo-turn-based (and eliminating the micromanaging and quick reflexes involved in most RTSs), but because of the time and dedication involved in getting good, I do not play multiplayer anymore, unless it is co-op.

michaels

Postby michaels » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:32 pm

I'll have to ask the friend who plays Starcraft whether I can still play it solo as a turn-based game. When you play solo do you get attacked by AI opponents? Just expanding your empire without opposition would be a bit boring.

Thanks for the feedback on WoW and EQII. I'll eventually give EQII a try.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:17 pm

With regards to Starcraft, there is the single player campaign, which has missions which progress through a story, and the single player skirmish mode, which pits you against AI opponents.

Keep in mind, even single player it is not true turn based. I do not know if this is the case with Starcraft II, but with Starcraft I single player, you could still navigate the map and issue orders with the game paused. So pause, issue orders, unpause, and repeat as necessary, and much of the reflexes and precision orders involved in playing a RTS are eliminated.

A common tactic I'll use is to pause, look at the opposing force, order my troops to attack as best I see fit (ie having my melee guys hit a near target and having my range guys hit a powerful far target), unpause, then pause to issue new orders as soon as one of the targeted opposing units falls.

michaels

Postby michaels » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21 am

I checked with the guy who plays SCII and he says you can no longer issue orders while paused.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for checking that out, michael. That means I won't be looking to pick up SCII any time.

michaels

Postby michaels » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:33 am

As I play WoW for extended periods of time (up to 3 hours straight), I'm starting to experience problems with my back. It gets stiff and painful. From time to time I have to stand up and stretch it out. Perhaps a cheap lumbar roll or pad would help, or I could just invest in Robaxacet.

is "gamer's back" a known term, or is there some other one?

michaels

Postby michaels » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:45 am

Over time, I've discovered that there is a lot of bigotry in the WoW community against new players, including many terms disparaging those who are new. Yes, there is a small core of experienced players who are welcoming to new blood and very helpful, but the vast majority have totally forgotten what it was like when _they_ first started playing and were still figuring things out. Is the EQII community the same?

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:47 pm

That is something you'll find in most online games. I ran into some of those in EQII, but not nearly as much as WoW. My sample may be biased, though, as I tend to run on RP servers, and those attract a very different crowd than PvE and PvP servers.

michaels

Postby michaels » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 am

Yes, I'm finding that the RP servers are a lot better than the PvE servers I'd been concetrating on. I've even met some very nice high-level people during the last Tuesday night open RP on my server--and one of them used one of his crafting abilities to make me a couple of pieces of nice gear, with me supplying the raw materials. I do have to discourage people from giving me money in-game, tho, because having too much gold I didn't earn makes me lose interest in my character.

Overall, however, it's the luck of the draw whether you run into a nice person or into an idiot. During the open RP one guy kept randomly shouting "PENIS!" for five or six minutes until he realized that everyone was ignoring him.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 pm

One of the problems with RP servers is the punk bitches who think RPers are weird and thus grief the RP servers. In the end, they just get ignored, but they are a nuisance. None the less, the frequency of griefers on RP servers is far less than PvE servers and drastically less than PvP servers.

As for the crafting, you'll often find crafters who will craft for free or cheap if you provide materials. It's often mutually beneficial; you get the equipment, they get the crafting experience. It's nice to do the same for others as you level your crafting skills.

michaels

Postby michaels » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:28 pm

One thing I've had trouble with is duel spammers. On WoW, you can request a duel even from a toon whose PvP flag is not set. I always refuse duels, especially from other toons that are much higher level than me, but sometimes the idiot will keep challenging over and over again every few seconds. Then I have no choice but to /ignore them. (Last time I did that the other toon found some way to give me the finger.)

Battlegrounds, dungeons and raids are now cross-server on WoW so you do get quite a few idiots, especially when you join a battleground. My latest toon is a gnome tank who's going to try a battleground and I'm nervous about it. The other toon has done four dungeons with a success rate of about 50%.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:16 pm

I seem to recall that somewhere in the options is an "always ignore duel requests" option. You might take a look for it.

michaels

Postby michaels » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:33 pm

I did have a look and there doesn't seem to be one. And I might not always ignore duel requests. My latest toon is a fury warrior and those people have bad tempers. :)

BTW, I find the WoW forum to be a totalitarian environment. The moderators basically run roughshod over people's rights and are not accountable to anyone, and there are favored members who have pull with the moderators and are typically defended by them even when those members break the rules and somebody complains. It's the complainer who's more likely to suffer retaliation! I might not bother posting on their forum any more.

michaels

Postby michaels » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:31 am

disjointed wrote:I'm pretty sure you said exactly the same thing when you was in aven michael..is thier a common denominator?

Nah, the problem with AVEN is not corruption of the moderation team but the hijacking of the site by people who focus on issues totally unrelated to asexuality. Whom the owner of AVEN invited in to begin with, so he's the only one to blame that they've taken over.

michaels

Postby michaels » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:29 pm

I've managed to find a RP server that more or less works without being a zoo. The main RP server is Moonguard, but it's overrun with rules lawyers and griefers. It's also often full so creating a toon there is impossible. One other server, however, has a regular weekly open RP where I've managed to meet some nice people. My main, a gnome, is forming a rogue spy organization that will help one side win the current gnomish civil war and then work to depose the leader of the winners. In the process she needs to trick her cousin (who is her only surviving relative) into ceasing to be a fanatic for the guy she wants to depose, and one friend has hatched a plan involving fake documents. And she met a guy a few days ago and is now worried she's pregnant, which would be a major inconvenience. Of course, with the radiation that killed off 80% percent of the gnomish population, there might be issues of sterility and birth defects. (One of the two other players RPing with me on the latter actually did get pregnant at 16!)

Dargon, is this kind of thing available on EQII? I have to confess that, since reinstalling Windows, I haven't gotten around to downloading it.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:13 pm

I never hit the official fourms when I played WoW. This is not an uncommon problem at large forums like that. Problem is, in order to keep order on such forums, the iron fist method is pretty much the only way to go.

Sounds like you found a good RP group there. With regards to EQII, the RP groups run the gamut much like WoW. They range from causal RP groups right up to rather serious groups with complex, in-depth stories. Sometimes it takes some looking to find what you want, but it's there. Groups like yours are sometimes hard to find, so count yourself lucky you found such a good one.

michaels

Postby michaels » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 am

I had to quit WoW because of the experienced players' general hostility to newcomers and Blizzard's indifference to whether new players are enjoying the game. My RP storylines had died off because of other people's inactivity and I was trying PvE and PvP but not enjoying it because vets have such a huge advantage. From what I heard from many sources, the parent company doesn't give a damn about new players, so I just cancelled my subscription.

I'm going to give EQII a try now on their new indefinite-duration trial service, which involves some kind of cloud arrangement where you don't have to download a full game client. This time I'm not going to rush out and pay money. I'll play for a month or two and see whether I enjoy it before getting a Silver subscription (which itself is a one-time lifetime fee of $10, so no biggie).

For my first character i'm thinking either Berserker or Fury. I have two slots open on the trial account so I'll try one good-aligned character and one evil-aligned one to get the starting area experience for both. Then I can always play deletsies depending on what I like better.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:49 pm

I always hated PvP because of the ganking. It's impossible to level in a PvP server without help from higher level players. WoW is all about retaining the money-giving types, which tend to be the "hardcore" players, the ones that get to the higher levels and raid and PvP all the time.

EQII, higher level players are once again going to have a heavy advantage in PvP, and ganking does happen on PvP servers, but the hostility towards newbies seems a lot less.

I had a Warden, a Brigand, and a Guardian, all three were quite fun.

michaels

Postby michaels » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:32 am

There are two EQII sets of servers now, the regular EQII servers and something called EQII Extended. Extended works on a kind of cloud computing arrangement where your total initial download is about 80 meg and most of the game data is kept on a remote server. It doesn't require a paid subscription although there is some throttling of free accounts (only two toons, only four available races, only eight available classes, only two bag slots per toon, no shared bank slots, etc.) You can still get a paid subscription to unlock more features, but if you only play a max of two toons you can also buy feature unlocks with StationCash, and that can be cheaper in the end. It costs $10 to upgrade to Silver and only $5 to get an extra class for your second toon.

There are two separate fora for regular EQII and EQII Extended. I'm on the latter and find that the private-club-for-veterans nature of the WoW forum is totally absent from the EQII Extended forum. The Extended service was mostly set up to rejuvenate the player base by getting new signups and it's mostly newbs who have accounts there. And again, the Extended servers are totally separate from the regular servers.

Let's see how this goes.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:25 pm

Sounds like the extended service would attract mostly newer players. The older players and the more hard-core would likely be on the standard servers. Hope that works out well for you.

michaels

Postby michaels » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:55 am

I'm also trying Runes of Magic. That works a little differently. The game is free to play but you pay extra for gear and ability unlocks. I'm told that most toons on RoM are either mid-level or early endgame because the endgame gets expensive. RoM has the same problems as WoW in terms of PvP--lots of deep-pocketed twinks with supergear at lower levels. In terms of questing and PvE, I'm told, you can go through most of the game without spending a penny.

I intend to play EQII and RoM alternately, whichever I feel like at the time, and that should keep both games fresh for me longer. With no recurring costs involved in either, I can go quite a long way with the service level I've got right now.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:47 am

I've played a few micro-payment style MMOs before. MY favorite was Space Cowboy Online. It eventually went under, but rights were purchased and it has been re-released as Ace Online by another company. I'd play, but it really isn't that fun as an M-Gear (my preferred class) until around level 40, and I don't want to do that grind.