back to the 1970s--or still in the 1970s

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
michaels

back to the 1970s--or still in the 1970s

Postby michaels » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:52 pm

There is a popular Canadian TV show called _Flashpoint_, which is about the exploits of what is essentially a SWAT team.

The latest episode, as advertised in TV commercials, is about a man having a "psychotic break" and running around with a loaded gun. Allegedly, he must be stopped before something "triggers" him into violence.

It's a return to the 1970s concept of the "dangerous psycho," who is allegedly evil because he has mental health issues. The buzzwords have been updated but the Medieval mentality hasn't.

And I've seen a great deal of that mentality among the activist crowd here on Apositive lately, after not seeing it anywhere for more than a decade.

It frankly makes me worried for _my_ safety, because the hatred of the general population for people with mental health issues can easily translate into fun things that some people likely favor; for example, forced sterilization, confinement to dungeons, and perhaps "scientific" experiments being performed on mental patients that are currently not lawful to be performed on dogs or rabbits.

The future looks grim indeed.

Olivier

Re: back to the 1970s--or still in the 1970s

Postby Olivier » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:47 pm

I don't think anyone has called you "dangerous", michael, only unpleasant company. This is yet another example where you're demonstrating only the latter, not the former, by making false accusations about the people you share this space with.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:26 am

michaels wrote:There is a popular Canadian TV show called _Flashpoint_, which is about the exploits of what is essentially a SWAT team.

The latest episode, as advertised in TV commercials, is about a man having a "psychotic break" and running around with a loaded gun. Allegedly, he must be stopped before something "triggers" him into violence.

It's a return to the 1970s concept of the "dangerous psycho," who is allegedly evil because he has mental health issues. The buzzwords have been updated but the Medieval mentality hasn't..

erm no..it was a tv programme..but lets run with it

and before you paqint all those with mental health as you are trying to do..as being attacked..I myself have had several years of mental health with multiple stays in syke units..not that would suprise anyone :lol:

firstly michael lets be honest some of the most disturbed individuals in the world have some form of severe sykosis..now two points if i may..mental health is still a taboo for many for two reasons..one because often the person has lost thier way and struggles to find thier way back and two others around them are afraid not only for that person but also that it could happen to them..perfectly reasonable fears

michaels wrote:And I've seen a great deal of that mentality among the activist crowd here on Apositive lately, after not seeing it anywhere for more than a decade...

if you havn't seen mental health stigma for the last 10 years..then i can only assume you need to get out more..it does, always has and always will exist..how we challenge that makes the difference..as to it being on apositive..i think Oliver being more elquent than I says it better..but basically as long as apositive was dead and your blog only..you felt all was well in the world..as traficc is picking up..some disagree with you so now in your mind apositive has turned into a activist hotspot with an aven hit squad parachuting around the worlds internet site looking for michael..read that again michael to see how silly that is

Wait? I'm an activist now??? ffs why didn't you lot tell me??? an arseole maybe but an activist? how insulting..tsk tsk

michaels wrote:It frankly makes me worried for _my_ safety, because the hatred of the general population for people with mental health issues can easily translate into fun things that some people likely favor; for example, forced sterilization, confinement to dungeons, and perhaps "scientific" experiments being performed on mental patients that are currently not lawful to be performed on dogs or rabbits.

The future looks grim indeed.

I would feel that awareness over the last 10 years has infact made things safer and more open for those with mental health and less of that taboo many used to ghide in dark corners

sure you will always get some taking the piss but you get that in every walk of life, bald, fat, thin, white, black etc

michaels

Postby michaels » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:19 pm

You're right, I do need to get out more, but in a huge anonymous city there aren't a lot of places a person can get out to without spending money I don't have. Even Buddha could spend only so many hours at the library or in the park without going stir crazy.

I don't consider it "perfectly reasonable" to portray people with mental health issues as "dangerous psychos." Yes, a tiny minority of people with mental health issues are dangerous, but so is a proportional minority of people with NO mental health issues. This idea that having a mental health diagnosis means you're more likely to hurt other people is totally ridiculous and outdated and needs to be thrown in the garbage.

What's most troubling is that, in society in general, the language surrounding mental health issues has been updated but the mentality hasn't. How often have you run into someone who tries to win an argument with you by saying "you should start taking your medication again" even though you've never said anything about taking medication in the first place? That kind of throwaway bit of sophistry DOES connote a kind of outdated prejudice, and it's extremely common (although I haven't seen anything that clumsy on Apositive; the people here are at least _sophisticated_ sophists).

At this point I could easily borrow a page from the feminists' operations manual and move on to concrete realities. Do you know how, when some conservative 14-year-old girl would say, "Yes, women do nag" a feminist would say "Good luck to you if you ever need an abortion?" Well, I could say at this point: good luck to anyone with a mental health diagnosis other than depression who ever wants to get hired at a job. There are very concrete forms of discrimination that run far deeper than some silly mass-market TV show, even if the TV show demonstrates the kind of issue that leads to that discrimination.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:25 am

michaels wrote:You're right, I do need to get out more, but in a huge anonymous city there aren't a lot of places a person can get out to without spending money I don't have. Even Buddha could spend only so many hours at the library or in the park without going stir crazy..

I can certianly relate to that Michael..shortly after my last syke unit holiday :D i was placed in a homl;ess shelter and was there for about 5 months till the local authority found me a very small but welcome apt..we are fortunate that in the uk the welfare system does a good job..not brilliant..but given it's size i feel it does more good than bad..but yes finances and places to feel safe are limited but not unavaliable..charities that deal with those of us with mental health issues are always looking to assist and offer work even if it is the charitable kind

but yes..trying to get employment whilst you are still recieving syke care is difficult..say your a mum and you need a day off for childcare..ok..say your a current schitzoid and are having a bad episode and need to visit the syle unit before you do something silly is hardly ever goingg to see most employers say..take a few days off and we welcome you back

it is unfair but it is totally reasonable to understand..people generally are afraid of the things they don't understand but i turn that round...who is the biggest mental case..those who have issues and ask for help..or those who have issues and hide it making out they are beter than everyone else but intruth the are crumbling inside

I'm as open about my mental health and stays in a unit as I am about my asexuality...in that they are both part of me and not all of me and in general..depending on who you listen too :lol: ..I'm not a bad bloke

discrimination will always exist...it's part of the human sykee..although i do feelawareness of the increase in mental health conditions is growing which can be and is i feel a massive step forward

As to 1970's shows..ahhh happier simple times when honesty did not have to hide through fear of the p.c. police and it was after all Michael..just a tv show that if you didn't like..you could remedy that with a simple switch of the remote