computer vacation

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!
michaels

computer vacation

Postby michaels » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:42 am

I packed my computer away and put it in a closet on Wednesday afternoon, and unpacked and set it up again on Saturday evening. In between I had a chance to refresh my mind and evaluate how important computers really are to me. The conclusion is: a computer is convenient but not essential.

Anyone else ever take a computer holiday, at least in recent times?

flergalwit
Mega Member

Re: computer vacation

Postby flergalwit » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:47 pm

I sometimes leave my computer at work overnight. (I work and live in neighbouring cities and the commute by train is about 75min door to door, each way.) It's great; I come home and can't check my email or work on the massive todo list on my computer. I just have to read, or scribble on bits of paper, or listen to radio, or clean the house, or make food, or sleep, or talk to housemates instead. It's really quite liberating. I actually lived without the internet for 17-18 years too (though I've pretty well always had computers of some description); now the idea is unthinkable.

Wednesday to Saturday simply would not be doable though. I have to access my email, my work documents and AVEN several times within that period. Being off skype for all that time would also be weird, but probably not unmanageable.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:53 pm

I've generally got the willpower to step away when I need to.

Seeing as computers are a major hobby and future career of mine, I'm rather fond of them.

Olivier

Postby Olivier » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I never travel with them, and I don't have a mobile phone, so when I'm away from home, I'm away from technology. I'm just back from three and a half days away without technology and I managed fine. As I live in a fairly isolated location, I don't really take technology-free breaks at home, as the internet is pretty much our connection to the world - we're too far from the nearest shop to buy newspapers and we don't have a television. But over the summer especially, it's nice to let that connection slide and just enjoy the isolation sometimes.

PiF
Apositive Star

Postby PiF » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:10 am

The last 18 months or so due to my daughter getting married, getting pregnant and now with her first and my only grandchild..I have been on the pc more than usual because I've stayed in one place longer than I normally would and I am learning very easily to hate the pc and my obvious lazyness to do other things.

Thankfully once the grands first chrimbo is over My travels will start again in January and apart from the occasional check in to let the family/friends know where I am and that I'm okay..I expect to be computer free for the next 12-18 months and I have to say it can't come a minute too soon. I'm very much looking forward to seeing life/peoplecountries again through my own eyes rather than someone elses blog

so computer vacation..bring it on

dornin

Postby dornin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:25 pm

Sometimes I leave my computer in the office at night. (I live and work in nearby towns and traveling by train around 75min door to door, each way.) 'S great, I go home and not be able to check email or work on a big to-do list on my computer. I just read, or write on a piece of paper, or listen to the radio, or cleaning the house, or making food, or sleep, or talk to other tenants, however. It's really liberating. I really live without the internet for 17-18 years too old (although I always have a good enough computer of some description), now the idea is unthinkable.

Wednesday to Saturday, however, will simply not feasible. Do I access my email, my work documents and Aven several times in that period. Being off skype all the time will also be odd, but it may not be regulated. :clap:

LillieBeagle

Postby LillieBeagle » Mon May 20, 2013 7:15 pm

I always bring with me my computer every time I travel. It is one of the most important things that I always bring on my vacations. I used to be always online even if I am on leave from work. I just want to be updated all the time. I'm here at a hotel in Penang and I'm with my laptop once again. :D

edit: link removed by admin