poll: the holidays

The place for off-topic threads, games and socializing. Stop in for a visit!

Do the holidays suck for you?

Yes
11%
No
22%
Some years yes, some years no
11%
I ignore the holidays by working/studying as normal
22%
Question not relevant, as my job/business needs holiday sales
No votes
Other
33%

Total votes: 9

michaels

poll: the holidays

Postby michaels » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:18 am

Do the holidays suck for you?

Olivier

Re: poll: the holidays

Postby Olivier » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:55 pm

Nope. They're a lot of work, as it's summer here and our kids have 6 weeks off school, but they're fun. Last night, we went to our local Carols by Candlelight, and sung carols and watched fireworks over the river, and even an atheist I can't help but enjoy the ritual of it all. Celebrating good will is something I hope never goes out of style.

That said, I'm lucky to be spared the commercial excesses of modern Christmas. We're a long way from town, and we avoid the shops during the holidays, partly just because our largest big town is a beachside tourist town, so it gets crowded in summer. We also don't have a television or listen to commercial radio, and I'm sure those things help keep Christmas a positive experience.

Dargon
Mega Member

Postby Dargon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Other.

I have two major holidays around this time of year. Good Christmas, which occurs usually the weekend closest to December 12, and Shitty Christmas, which occurs around the 25th.

The former is a celebration with some friends that has been going on for about the past seven years I think. It's more an excuse to get together and have a good time than anything.

The latter is the one I spend with my family for diplomatic reasons. It sucks.

Melanthios

Postby Melanthios » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:02 pm

My husband and I try to celebrate two holidays in winter: Santa Day (dec 6th) and Solstice (20, 21, or 22). The former is the holiday concerned with the 'Santa Spirit': jollity, generosity, gift-giving, and merry-making. The latter is the only holy day (the only one I celebrate), which is a time of reflections positive upon the past year, and hope for the coming one. As well there is a tradition of lighting a candle for every soul in the family, and keeping them burning from sundown on the longest night to sunup the next day--just to remind Helios and Apollo to come back for the new year. So, those are wonderful days and happy celebrations. We forged those traditions ourselves, as we both came from religious backgrounds we entirely left upon growing up, and wanted to make our own traditions for our family, not just go through the motions from our relations.

What I don't like is everyone else's celebrations of Christmas and New Year's Eve. Everyone else seems so mired in doing things they hate or clinging to traditions that don't work, or overdrinking, or just generally being negative for no good reason--it is very easy to avoid if I can live alone and not go out from December 1 to January 3, but while the latter was possible this past year, the former was, alas, not. Lucky for us, our roomies are more the 'going out' type than the hosting type--though there was considerable stress on my end about their insistence on a thanksgiving party and a new year's party (I don't like parties).

I'd have to say the holiday that truly sucks and even makes me angry is Thanksgiving. It's quite racist, it's pointless, and it's entirely based on fiction. I cannot wait to move somewhere it isn't celebrated--certainly I will never celebrate it with my own children.